Rudder Stock

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
JetStream
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Sojourn
Boat Type: Pearson 27

Rudder Stock

Post by JetStream »

I have been attempting to straighten an old Pearson 30 rudder stock and now that it is fairly straight, I'm not liking its out-of-roundness, pitting and wear. The rudder stock measures 2.342" x 2.382" instead of 2.375" at the lower bearing. So, if I take the rudder apart and replace the rudder stock, where could I get a 5' long piece of 316 or 316L stainless? Online Metals only sells 304 in this size (2.375" dia w/ .154" wall, which is 2" schedule 40 seamless pipe). Or the second question is, what happens if I use 304 instead of 316? The 3rd question is, would I just be better off paying the $1700 for a new rudder? I have new delrin bushings, but that would be a waste if I don't have a proper shaft, and I hate rudders that "klonk" while you sail.
Bruce
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here, but wouldn't it just be easier to pay the $1700 for a new rudder? Part of the stock is already encased inside the rudder where the splines are also welded to the stock. If you are replacing the stock, don't you have to basically rebuild the rudder? $1700 sounds cheap to me.
JetStream
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Sojourn
Boat Type: Pearson 27

Post by JetStream »

Yes, you have to take it apart and weld tabs to the new stock, but that isn't a huge big deal. At one time, I wouldn't have blinked to spend the $1700. However, 17 boat bucks just happens to be a pretty big deal to me right now. (Actually it represents 11 weeks of groceries for a family of 7!) And I have all the epoxy, glass, foam and stuff in stock. Besides, isn't it fun to tear things up and fix them? :-)
Bruce
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Last edited by DELETED on Tue May 01, 2007 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED