Raw water strainer recommendations?

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Shoalcove
Skilled Systems Installer

Raw water strainer recommendations?

Post by Shoalcove »

I need a new larger raw water strainer and am wondering if there is any particular brands to choose or avoid. I looked at the Hamilton Marine site and they have a Perko and a Groco that are about the same $. The Perko has tie rods and, a drain plug and wing nut adjustment. The Groco appears to suggest that not having the rods is an advantage. Anyone use one of these babies and want to share an opinion.
Of course if it doesn't soon stop raining and warm up, I'll save my money and buy a heater!!
Best regards,
David
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Mine's a Perko, with rods

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

I have a Groco sans rods. Not sure if its the same as the current one in the Hamilton catalog or not. Works just dandy.

Edited to say:

Yup, the Groco looks just like mine, though it appears in the photo that it might have a plastic basket; mine's stainless. No complaints with the strainer.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

When I was a parts person, I had keep a stock of the little black plastic plugs that are on the bottom of the Groco strainers, because they'd get broken off one way or another.

I happened to be on the phone with Groco a few weeks ago and it came up in conversation. Unfortunately I can't remember the details right now (I had already kind of decided to go Perko or Forespar), but I think they plan to come out with some kind of change that would be for the better. It might have been a new plug design or an improved plug to fit in the old design.

On the other hand, perhaps their relative fragility is not an issue if you do your own work the boat, and/or if it's not in a vulnerable location. But I thought I'd mention it.

Rachel
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Oh, thanks, Rachel. I'm bound to break mine now! ;-P
Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

Thanks for the info. I'll likely go Perko. It seems robust and there are more parts to drop in the bilge...
Geez Rachel, I do all my own work and am forever breaking stuff. I was always under the impression that a pro would be smarter. I appreciate the tip.
Best regards,
David
Tim

Post by Tim »

Just to complicate things, I used this Groco strainer--complete with rods and a big bronze wing nut on top--on the Daysailor build. I like this top design better than the fussy hinged cap with two small wingnuts on the Perko that I have, but otherwise the strainers are comparable.

Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

ARRGH.
Just when I felt I had it beat.
Thanks Tim. I really do appreciate the help. I hope someday that my engine and area will look like that. Nice work.
David
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

I had the Perko one already installed on the boat when I first got it it. It had spent 30 years in Florida. I tried to open it to clean it and, aside from the fact that it was very hard to open it, the hinge snapped right off. This was due to years and years of neglect, but it proded me to go with the Groco when I replaced.

Re beaking off the little black plug: I haven't done it and it should be mounted in a location where it won't get broken off. But the comment about SOMEONE ELSE breaking it off is well taken.

Its been my experience that the "pros" are as human as anyone and when on a boat they are not familiar, can easily muck things up if certain things aren't obvious. This is EXACTLY WHY I do most of my own work. I can have it done the way I want it and if I screw it up, I only have myself to blame.
Tim

Post by Tim »

All pros make mistakes. They're just good at fixing them when they happen. Don't let anyone tell you they don't make mistakes--it's a lie.

And the really good pros also take responsibility for collateral damage when it inevitably occurs. And it does, from time to time.