Heavy-duty hatch hinges?

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Shoalcove
Skilled Systems Installer

Heavy-duty hatch hinges?

Post by Shoalcove »

I replaced the hinges on my cockpit lockers a couple years ago with what I thought to be good quality Stainless hinges. They are not. The pin is rusting and freezing up the hinge to the point that some are unuseable. I want a very strong hinge ,either Stainless or chromed bronze. One side must be short to fit. Can any one point me in the right direction? Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Best regards, David
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I have to check, but I think I have a good size length of SS piano hinge. If I do, it's yours for the shipping. Let me know if you would like me to dig around.

I had the same problem with my Triton. I bought what was labeled as a SS hinge and the pin rusted in about a month. I can't remember where I bought the better quality lengths of hinge, perhaps Defender. I believe I have enough left to do two cockpit lockers on a Triton.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Mine are bronze piano hinges, and I like them a lot. But good S/S ones would work too. McMaster-Carr carries them in many sizes.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

A lot of those "stainless" hinges have a mild steel pin.

You can find 316SS piano hinges at McMaster-Carr, among other places.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Hirilond? wrote:Mine are bronze piano hinges, and I like them a lot.
Dave, were those hinges original to your boat, or something that you added during your refit?

If you added them, do you have a source?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

Thanks for the input folks. Jason, thanks for the kind offer! I'm not sure that piano hinges will work for me - most seem too light. I will take a look at the McMaster-Carr site to see what is available. I'm hoping to find something massive so that my heavy hatches don't tend to twist them.
Thanks again, David
deckhand
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by deckhand »

Not to play the devil's advocate, but do you HAVE to use piano hinges? Using a piano hinge doesn't make a hatch water tight, an internal gasket with a healthy lip does. If the only way to make the design you have work is to use a piano hinge, ok, but there are lots of truly beefy hinges out there that might work as well. Pop three or four 3/8" pin brass, bronze or stainless hinges on those hatchs (depending on the size, I'm assuming 20-24" hatches) and they'll never pull out. Getting it all lined up might be a tiny bit harder but at least you aren't worried about your 3/32" "stainless" pin giving up the ghost.
Dave
T30 #164 "Hobyn"
www.dkyrejko.com/hobyn
Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

I don't need to use piano hinges. In fact I'm not sure they will even work well on my boat. My port cockpit locker is big on my Cheoy Lee and a piano hinge may be tough to line up. I did look on the McMaster-Carr site. Wow! Lots of goodies there.
My preference would be to find a source of quality heavy duty SS or chromed bronze hinges and latches to replace the current ones. I've got a friend with a Pacific Seacraft and admire the ruggedness of the gear. That is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Names folks, I need names ; )
Best regards, David
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

A couple that come to mind:

Stainless Steel: Tops In Quality

Bronze: Spartan Bronze

I've ordered from and been pleased with Tops In Quality. I spoke with the folks at Spartan Bronze and they seemed friendly, but I don't have any real experience with them.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

One of the chief advantages of piano (continuous) hinges is that alignment is NOT an issue. Installation is easier, not harder, unless the sheer number of fasteners becomes arduous.

They seem wimpy, but they're actually quite sturdy because the strain is spread over such distance. Similarly, fasteners have less tendency to work loose.

Stainless hinges with a mild steel pin? WHAT is this world coming to?!!
Summersdawn

Post by Summersdawn »

I replaced the chromed zinc crap hinges on my boat years ago with similar ones from Sea Dog that were stainless steel, and haven't had any issues with them.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Tim wrote:
Hirilond? wrote:Mine are bronze piano hinges, and I like them a lot.
Dave, were those hinges original to your boat, or something that you added during your refit?

If you added them, do you have a source?
Hmmm, I replied to this a couple days ago.

They came with my boat Tim. Looks like that was a good thing as I can't seem to find bronze from any of our suppliers. Brass is easily available. I'll ask our store manager if he as ideas for sources.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

Thanks for the replies. I'm going down to the boat in a couple days so I'll measure things up and decide.
David