System Three LPU Topcoat

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
preserved_killick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Seagrass
Boat Type: Alberg 30

System Three LPU Topcoat

Post by preserved_killick »

System Three WR-LPU Topcoat

Anyone use this? I was scouring the web yesterday for varnishing tips and came across this product quite a few times. For the colored version, those who use it claim it is easy to apply (given the right conditions), durable and easy clean up.

I also found references to the clear version as a replacement for varnish. Users claiming a couple of coats of epoxy and a coat of the clear LPU Topcoat for a coating that is much longer lasting than varnish, if you can live with the clear non-amber color of the finish.

What has me considering this, is reading posts from wooden kayak and canoe builders who subject the finishes to some harsh abuse, and report that the WR-LPU holds up much better than traditional varnish.

Further, I spent the last couple years refinishing all the floors in my home, researching products.. and the choice of flooring pros are the new water based products that feature a cross-linking additive. Without question they have been proven to be a much more durable coating on floors than traditional varnish/oil poly coatings.

UV resistance appears to be good. I'm wondering how it looks? From images and videos the colored paint looks good. Does the clear look like the wood is encapsulated in crystal clear plastic??

I'm all for low maintenance, ease of use and durability, but in the end, I don't want to veer away from the traditional look of varnish. As an example, I detest vinyl siding on homes. Some houses just look better with peely imperfect paint jobs.

-jeff
David

Re: System Three LPU Topcoat

Post by David »

preserved_killick wrote:System Three WR-LPU Topcoat

Anyone use this? I was scouring the web yesterday for varnishing tips and came across this product quite a few times. For the colored version, those who use it claim it is easy to apply (given the right conditions), durable and easy clean up.

I also found references to the clear version as a replacement for varnish. Users claiming a couple of coats of epoxy and a coat of the clear LPU Topcoat for a coating that is much longer lasting than varnish, if you can live with the clear non-amber color of the finish.

What has me considering this, is reading posts from wooden kayak and canoe builders who subject the finishes to some harsh abuse, and report that the WR-LPU holds up much better than traditional varnish.

Further, I spent the last couple years refinishing all the floors in my home, researching products.. and the choice of flooring pros are the new water based products that feature a cross-linking additive. Without question they have been proven to be a much more durable coating on floors than traditional varnish/oil poly coatings.

UV resistance appears to be good. I'm wondering how it looks? From images and videos the colored paint looks good. Does the clear look like the wood is encapsulated in crystal clear plastic??

I'm all for low maintenance, ease of use and durability, but in the end, I don't want to veer away from the traditional look of varnish. As an example, I detest vinyl siding on homes. Some houses just look better with peely imperfect paint jobs.

-jeff
I am using System Three WR-LPU in pigmented and clear on my restoration project. So far I have done the spars and a new seahood in Orcas White, and have started covering all the new cherry interior in their LPU satin clear. I spray it and brush it. It's lovely paint. You can read more here: http://bristol29.com/Projects/painting/Painting.htm

Fair Winds,

David
A30_John
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by A30_John »

I used System Three paint on my dinghy, and, after three summers sitting in the sun and rain and oily harbor junk and getting bashed around at the dinghy wharf, I can say the paint has held up remarkably well.
John
rshowarth
Skilled Systems Installer

System 3 LPU

Post by rshowarth »

I am using System Three WR-LPU in pigmented and clear on my restoration project. So far I have done the spars and a new seahood in Orcas White, and have started covering all the new cherry interior in their LPU satin clear. I spray it and brush it. It's lovely paint. You can read more here: http://bristol29.com/Projects/painting/Painting.htm

Fair Winds,

David
David-

Did you coat the teak drop boards with anything before applying the clear LPU? Or were they sanded clean teak?

Thank you,

Read
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
David

System Three LPU

Post by David »

Read,

I applied three coats of unthickened epoxy first, then wet sanded them, then three coats of the gloss LPU. The last two coats were crosslinked.

David