Low cost/free solar trickle chargers

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Low cost/free solar trickle chargers

Post by JonnyBoats »

See http://www.beneteau235.com/vw_solar_panel_f235.htm
Volkswagen was having issues a couple of years ago trying to keep electronics alive, while shipping cars around the world, so they ended up including a solar panel that plugs into a cigarette lighter to keep the batteries topped off.

I don't know what others have for power requirements, but I use my battery for instruments, and occasional inverter use with my laptop. None of which puts a big dent in its capacitance.

The panels were available from the VW dealer for the asking or you can get them on ebay for around $10-20 each
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
grampianman
Master Varnisher

Post by grampianman »

I got one of these from a friend and it really does work well. I have the panel propped on a winch which give the panel a good tilt to the southwest which at this time of year is ideal for catching rays! My problem had come from directly wiring my stereo to the battery and just keeping the clock and memory settings seemed to be draining the battery in under two weeks! Now I leave the dock knowing I've got plenty of juice for lights, etc.

Cheers,
Ian
G-23, Wing & a Prayer
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

grampianman wrote: My problem had come from directly wiring my stereo to the battery and just keeping the clock and memory settings seemed to be draining the battery in under two weeks!
The presets and clock on my Bosch job site radio are kept by 2 AA batteries and they are now well over a year old and going strong. I would think you have something else draining your batteries if they go down that fast. Glad to hear your trickle charger keeps you topped off well, but I would look for another source for your battery drain.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.