Reducing Leaks on a Triton's Forward-Facing Ports

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Bob Macey

Reducing Leaks on a Triton's Forward-Facing Ports

Post by Bob Macey »

My apologies up front if this is just plain dumb. But it worked for me...

This past weekend was my first overnighter on my Triton "Breeze". It rained like crazy all night. Both of my forward ports were dripping inside. If you have a Triton, you know that these ports collect water like a bird bath.

So I created two wicks to remove the water from the outside of the windows: I cut two 8 inch lenghs of cotton "laundry line" rope and dipped them in Lake Superior to get them wet. Then I laid them in the port, hanging an end down below each window so they would drain the water onto the deck.

In ten minutes the ports were "empty" and they remained that way all thru the night. The dripping inside had stopped.

Now there was no wind blowing so this worked well. But I think that you could permanently mount a very, very small shoelace sized wick and secure it with a dab of something-or-other. Once the rain wets the wick, it will begin to siphon the water out of the port.

I once had a 30 gallon aquarium drained from a tiny thread, so I know you do not need a large wick for this process to work.
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

Great idea, Bob!
I will definitely give that a go.
Thank you!

Dave
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

My apologies up front if this is just plain dumb
I would have to agree. That is about one of the best ideas I have heard for draining the ports.

Keep 'em coming.

-Britton[/i]
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

That's a great idea! Thanks for sharing.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating