Bronze cowls, ports, and deck hardware available again

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Bronze cowls, ports, and deck hardware available again

Post by Rachel »

While gathering data for some stainless-steel ports (not for me), I happened to be checking out Blue Water Hardware's website. Lo, while I was clicking around, there was bronze! When I called to ask about a detail on the stainless ports, I asked about the bronze and here is what I found out:

Blue Water Hardware used to be Mariner's Hardware, who in the past sold some (reportedly) very nice bronze ports and cowls; but then a couple of years ago they announced that they were going to discontinue all bronze and make only stainless parts. Bummer. In fact, I think a couple of members here might have ended up with only one low-profile cowl in the going-out-of-the-bronze-business sales frenzy.

Scott, the owner (his father started Mariner's Hardware) said that he'd ended up missing the bronze, and that they are now, once again selling the bronze cowls and ports. Sweet! In fact he said the traditional style cowls were already in, and the low-profile ones were on the way.

In addition, Scott is working with Ron Amy and Bob Burke, the people who were ABI (sellers of many things bronze, but out of business now), and thus they are apparently able to order/source many of the things that ABI used to sell. For example, I asked about the bronze ABI manual windlass. Yep, he said, they could get that.

I asked what the source of the bronze products was, and he said it was China. If I remember correctly, the ABI folks were cruisers back in the day, and started their bronze business when they were in China, although I may not have that part completely correct. I believe this is also where they have their stainless products made, so I get the feeling it is a long-term relationship. I also asked about the surface and/or any coating the products would have, and he said they would simply be polished bronze; no lacquers or any other coating.

The cowls and ports show up on their website now; I'm not sure when or if other items will be on the site, but Scott was friendly and enthusiastic, so if I were looking for something in bronze and did not see it on the Blue Water Hardware website, I would not hesitate to give him a call. The first time I called I did not reach him and left a message, and he called back promptly.

Blue Water Hardware
http://www.bluewaterhardware.com

Scott Buchan
415-887-9044

133 Buckelew St.
Sausalito, CA 94965

jeffwagnpete
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Frogman
Boat Type: Pearson Ariel

Re: Bronze cowls, ports, and deck hardware available again

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Right on!
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Thanks Rachel ;-)
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

A note of caution: here's a thread from the Cape Dory Board detailing some concerns about recent experiences with this supplier.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Well that is a little concerning, and something to consider.

Thanks for the additional info.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Sounds like the same old thing under a new name. I am not going to hold my breath.

Thanks for getting my hopes up Rachel >:-(
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
jeffwagnpete

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Wow! I am glad I saw this. I have put aside money to purchase all new hardware and new sails and everything. Man, I am usually not a sucker,but these are things that I need and yea, they require us to pay first, that makes sense though that people are so greedy, they find ways to scam everyone out of money. Man, that is upsetting, now, I need to be on the aware. I always want to be the one to see my product first, then pay and leave on the same day with my product, however, I cant to that with this stuff. Has anyone ever dealt with Doyle Sailmakers? I was going to have them make my new sails. I will travel long distances to get my product if I have to.
jeffwagnpete

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Thanks for that Duncan, you've helped me out big time! I am glad you posted that and I am glad this site is alive like this, thanks for looking out everyone!
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

The problems outlined in the Cape Dory forum are consistent with the trouble I had with Mariner's Hardware chronicled on this forum. That said, a friend just ordered some bronze deck plates from Blue Water without a problem. It seems the consistency and lack of communication are the real issues.
Chris Campbell
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

I'm the Chris who ordered ports and hatches from Blue Water Hardware and posted on the Cape Dory forum (it came up while Googling Blue Water Hardware), and there is more news to report. I finally got in touch with Scott and he apologized for taking so long with my order, and basically confessed that he couldn't fill it, so he returned my deposit. He explained that he was doing well with the deck plates and ventilators, and was willing to send me some of them for nothing to make up for my troubles (I may take him up on it, we'll see), but that he was unable to order from Man Ship anymore, and was having difficulties with getting product through other distributors, also. He also mentioned moving from California to somewhere on the East coast where his overhead could be lower.

So I'm now without hatches and ports, but reunited with my money (well, most of it - being in a different currency I took a hit, but so it goes). I've also been in touch with Man Ship and they're willing to sell me the stuff direct (with payment up front), so that's what I'll likely do.
boatsnh
Boat Name: IRIS
Boat Type: Dickerson 36 Ketch

Post by boatsnh »

Hi Chris,
Not sure if you are ordering Bronze, but if so you might want to call Spartan Marine... They usually will discount for a bunch of ports & I've had them offer 10-15% off at the maine boat show. Nice ports cast here in the USA - I think the foundry is in Massachusetts & machining done at Robinhood Marine in Maine.

I put 8 of them on my Dickerson; Nice gasketing & they work well & look good.
Mike
Chris Campbell

Post by Chris Campbell »

Spartan Marine was my 1st choice, but when I made templates of the windows and tried them on the cabin side of my Yankee I didn't like the look - the portlights are smaller than what came on the boat, and I couldn't come up with a combination of ports from them that would look right (some are oval and some are rectangular, making for an odd blend if you don't use all one size). That said, I should perhaps go back and check their sizes again - I'm delayed in my project by other factors at the moment giving me time to ponder the windows yet again.

I do like the idea of buying a domestically manufactured product (US being much closer to domestic for a Canadian than Taiwan - and Maine being practically Canadian!), so I'll try again.

Thanks,

Chris
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Chris Campbell wrote: ...Maine being practically Canadian!...
And here I was, thinking Canada was almost Maine... ;<)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Chris Campbell

Post by Chris Campbell »

Tim wrote:And here I was, thinking Canada was almost Maine... ;<)
It's all in your perspective!