Marine Mechanics: A general lament

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
megalops
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Marine Mechanics: A general lament

Post by megalops »

OK, I need to vent.

I'm having an issue with my hynautic steering, both helms have gradually become more difficult to turn over time. I suspect leaking lines, probably something I could ix myself, but I am at the height of my busiest time work wise, which means my pockets are pretty full but I have zero spare time. So I decided to hire the job out.

I keep my boat in a small coastal town in the Florida Panhandle. There are two diesel mechanics in the area. One has a good size shop on the water, my boat sits in a slip right behind their shop, about 40 yards from their front door. I have used them a good bit over the years, I've probably spent about $10,000 with them in the last five years, including a genset rebuild and top end rebuild of one engine. They do good work and are very nice, but take FOREVER to get a job done. I took them 9 months to rebuild my generator.

The other is a small one man mobile shop. He also does good work, and has been pretty quick the time or two I have used him in the past.

So I called the big shop first, the main guy (I know him very well) wasn't there but they would have him call me back. I wait 5 days. No call back. I call again, same story, they can't tell me when he will be able to do it, but he will call me back. Wait two weeks, no call back. Call again, "he is not here, can he call you back?" "No thanks, sounds like he is really busy."

Call the mobile guy, leave him a message. He calls me back two days later. "I'm really booked and way out on work did you try (name changed) Marine World?" "Uh, yeah they seem really busy." "OK, well try them once more, call me if they can't do it."

I call the big shop again. They don't call me back.

I call and lave a message for the mobile guy. "marine world can't do it. Just put me on your schedule for whenever, but please call me to let me know you got this message." I wait a week. No return call. I call again. "Hey um, never heard from you. Just want to make sure I am on your schedule. Will you call me back?" No call back.

I get frustrated and call the big shop (marine world) again and speak to their secratary. "I guess you can't do it. Can you give me the name of someone, anyone, even if they are in another city and I have to pay transit fees, who might want the work?" "Well, we have a local guy we have been using on the side. Let me call him and see if he wants to do it."

She calls back in ten minutes. "You are in luck. He can do it on Friday. Here is his number, give him a call to set things up."

Great. I call him. No answer. Leave a message for him to call me. Five days pass. No call back. I call again. Still no return call.

This is where I stand.

Is it like this everywhere? Any thoughts on what I should do?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Marine Mechanics: A general lament

Post by Tim »

megalops wrote: Any thoughts on what I should do?
Sell the boat to the first passer-by and take up badminton?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
megalops

Post by megalops »

Ha! Sometimes I'm tempted, but not too likely.

Also, nobody likes a smart a**!
megalops

Post by megalops »

Also, I've heard badmitten raquets require a ton of upkeep.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

This problem is not restricted to mechanics. I've been trying now for over two years to get a rigging shop to build all new rigging for my boat. One shop owner simply told me there is not enough "profit" in the job for him. What the heck ... it shouldn't matter what size the vessel is, They have profit built into the parts pricing and labor is $XX per hour.

... Prior to this, it took another company almost four years to install a teak deck on this same boat. My God, it's only a 24 foot vessel! ... As well, I have problems buying materials at times ... it's almost like no one wants to do business any more.

... Strange thing is, they have no problem taking the money!!!
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Post by Richincident »

However this kind of experience is teaching me a lot about my Volvo MD2........

Most of the neighboring owners are amazed that I can DO a lot of minor repairs. But the waiting time (to say nothing of the money) has led me to become a better boat mechanic. Plus I am pretty cheap, usually only costing the occasional celebretory beer at the end of the job.
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
megalops

Post by megalops »

I agree, it has raised my skills to a huge degree, and for that I am thankful. But sometimes I just don't have the time to do the job. What makes it even more amazing is that in our part of Florida the coastal counties are seeing a huge economic downturn. There are tons of people out of work. But good luck finding someone who is willing to dive a bottom or wax a hull. They don't exist at any price.

No one wants to work anymore, it's like living in a communist country.
carterskemp
Boat Name: Hali'a
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #345

Post by carterskemp »

megalops wrote: Also, nobody likes a smart a**!
my grandmother always used to say "it's better to be a smart a**, than a dumb a**". really.

...and I find that this story mimics a pretty common scenario i have encountered. It is amazing how many times as a product manager, and now architect, that I have had money in hand to seriously overpay someone to get something done, and no one even returns phone calls.

good luck.
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

Pretty sad.

My memory is dim at the moment but I remember reading something like this:

To get business or money, just be THERE. Simply show up.

It was something like that. I don't remember the exact quote. Many people just are not "there". I do admit that sometimes a project is not worth it - sometimes your time is worth too much to bother with a project that doesn't pay well. I always consider the value of my time and adjust accordingly. Still, if I was unable to do a project or it was not worth it, I would tell the customer up front or refer that customer to somebody else more willing. Not responding to business requests are simply unacceptable. Those people deserve to go bankrupt.

- Case
megalops

Post by megalops »

Finally got someone down to the boat late last week. It looks like maybe a bearing is binding at the rudder post.

I've worked on straight commission virtually all my life. I have to admit to some bias against people that are unproffesional or just plain lazy. Makes it way easier for the rest of us to make a living though!