Blind luck?

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Blind luck?

Post by Skipper599 »

Did you ever procrastinate over a job you weren't 100% comfortable in doing? eg: Installing a thru-hull for the engine cooling system. My concern about: Would I get things in the right place, not only to fit correctly, but also to look as if it "belonged".

I eventually went ahead yesterday and drilled the hole through the bottom of my boat at the turn of the bilge. Being a small boat, I had to work in a confined area. I installed the strainer type thru-hull complete with 3/4" ply backing. Next I reqired what I estimated to be a 45degree elbow plus a 4" nipple and a shut-off valve. These were obtained from a local irrigation supply company. They are red-bronze of marine quality, and half the price of identical product at the local chandlery.

Anyway, all parts were eventually installed and, much to my delight, I had (by pure luck) chosen the perfect location for the "hole" ... the nipple and shut-off are perfectly vertical and nestled away in an area that is just right for the engine and pump hose connection access. Furthermore, the shut-off handle is accessible and easily seen to know if it is open or closed. ... Phewww! what was i so worried about?
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Blind luck?

Post by Hirilondë »

If drilling a hole in the bottom of a perfectly good boat did not worry you, then there is something wrong with you!!!!!!

I am glad to hear that you time spent contemplating paid off with good results. Don't ever let on that blind luck had anything to do with it ;)
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.