Boston to Portland... sailboat salvage yard?

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Boston to Portland... sailboat salvage yard?

Post by hriehl1 »

I am looking for a "sailboat junkyard" to buy two opposing corner-style stern rails (leaving the stern-center open for boarding). I could even get a full pushpit and cut-out the center.

I have called and travelled to a place (Continental Yacht) in Quincy Mass but they are never there and do not return calls. Does anyone know of other salvage / junkyard places between Boston and Portland that may have some used pushpits?

Many thanks.
SUNBIRD10201
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Re: Boston to Portland... sailboat salvage yard?

Post by SUNBIRD10201 »

Well, if you were looking for parts for your DS I, I'd recommend D&R Marine in Assonet, MA. Rudy has EVERYTHING for O'DAYs. He might have a stern rail that will fit your other boat, it would be worth giving him a call (508) 644-3001. I know Assonet is a little further South than you may have wanted to travel..... but not that much further (maybe 45 minutes down Rte 24 from Boston!). Rudy does buy up surplus parts and such from area marine companies (EDSON, NE ROPES) and recently (within past couple of years) bought a ton of stuff from ALDEN YACHTS.

There used to be a great source for used/surplus sailboat stuff in Peabody, MA. That was the MARINE EXCHANGE, they went out of business a few years ago (maybe 10 years ago?) the son of the owners of that shop now runs North East Rigging Systems LLC in Concord, MA (781) 559-8416. I don't think he deals in used/surplus like his Dad...... but might have a contact you could call? Again, worth a shot!

Otherwise, the closest place that I know of would be Newport Nautical in Newport. RI or Marine Consignment of Wickford in Wickford, RI. I believe both of those places have web sites.
Sunbird
1979 O'DAY Day Sailer II
former owner of 1970 CAL 21
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Post by Richincident »

Continental Marine in Quincy PROBABLY has what you want, but they not only don't return calls, they often have folks there who can't make decisions on the things they do have. I keep thinking there MUST be a way to get the things I need from them, and they often have the items, but the folks I have met there are usually asking for ridiculous prices for their items.

BUT there must be a way!

Perhaps someone on this list will know the secret. I know that Paul, of Continental Marine, is very knowledgeable and is an excellent mover of sailboats. I suspect that he is just too busy to be AT the yard much, and the folks who are there do not share his knowledge.
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Post by hriehl1 »

My need is for the Hinterhoeller 28, not the Daysailer.

Thanks for the other leads... I'll pursue them.

And yes, almost certainly Continental has what I need... I rummaged in the yard for 45 minutes and located some possibles, but no one was there to give a price so I left. Interesting that you indicate their prices are high... I was thinking maybe $100 for a smaller pushpit or quarter-round pair. Does this seem in the ballpark?