Teak

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Teak

Post by Skipper599 »

Well, every now and then one comes across a real bargain. But then again, everything is relative, particularly when we're talking pricing of materials for boat building.

I was scanning a well known buy/sell website recently and came across an ad for (Burmese) Teak at a price one only thinks of in retrospect these days. eg: How does $15/Bd.Ft. sound to you? Wow! 1985 prices all over again.

There was a rider to the offer: Purchaser must be an amateur boat builder, no professionals or flippers. Be prepared to prove you're what you claim to be.

How did this come about you may ask? Apparently, this fine fellow bought an abundance of Teak some 20 years ago (sounds like me) with intentions of building a boat like so very many of us have done. ... Recently, he came to the conclusion his dream will never materialise and has decided to sell off his stash of materials he had purchased over a number of years.

I myself, have laid claim to a couple of 12ft. Rough cut 2 x 6's to the tune of $387 Cdn. ... he also advertised, a large amount of 11 ft. 2 x 4's and 1 1/2 x 6's ... still available (approx 600bf I believe). Of course, you would need to be living close to Vancouver BC to take advantage of this offer.

As well, he says he has a lot of "as new" unused "gear" ... I shall go pick up my purchase over the weekend and, whilst I'm there, view the other stuff he has on hand. ... I'll post here any bargains I see available. Sometimes, a bargain can be worth the freight charge. ... Who knows, I might feel inclined to do some heavy shopping and build a Teak Dinghy with the results of my purchase.

I'll get back to ya ... Cheers!
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Skipper599
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Re: Teak

Post by Skipper599 »

Ok, I picked up the two Teak boards. Top quality material as promised. This gentleman has much more Teak available, as well as Iroko and Mahogany.
He also showed me a few items of sailboat equipment he has for sale, such as SS Rigging cable, Mecahnical end fittings, and a beautiful big, manual Windlass.
All this equipment was intended for a 45' boat so you will know it will be too big for many of us. Just mentioning it here in case you know of anyone building something bigger than the majority of us here.

As mentioned in my previous post, you need to be close to Vancouver BC to take advantage of the low pricing on this material.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Chris Campbell
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Re: Teak

Post by Chris Campbell »

Thanks for the tip - I've also contacted him and while I live a good long way from Vancouver, I do have a sister in Victoria that I visit, and a long cross-country ski bag...