drop board U-channel

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Popeye1865
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

drop board U-channel

Post by Popeye1865 »

Hello I'm looking for some advice on a source for some u-channel. I'm rebuilding my companion way and would like to install some track for my drop boards to slide in. I have checked mcmaster and they don't seem to have any anodized alum in the dimension I'm looking for and their brass/bronz is prohibitively expensive. I'm looking for. 1/2-5/8 groove width, 3/8-5/8 leg height, and roughly 1/8 thick. my other actually preferred option is brass or bronze but I've been scouring the internet without much luck.

anyone have a good source?

thank you
Brandon
mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Re: drop board U-channel

Post by mitiempo »

Not sure where you are but in any major center there should be a metal supplier, a company that supplies the welding shops and metal fabricators nearby.
Skipper599
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

I second the previous poster's suggestion re Metal suppliers because that's what I did when in need of some aluminum channel:

The store did not have channel stock, only box sections. I purchased a piece of rectangular box stock of the required wall thickness, twice the width of the channel depth sections I required, and slightly longer than the length I needed - to allow for accurate trimming to length . . . figuring on getting two channel pieces by cutting the box-section lengthwise.

Setting the fence to assure the blade would cut exactly in the centre, and using a good 80 tooth carbide blade, I ran it the stock through the table saw with the blade raised just enough to cut through the single 1/8" side. The work piece was then flipped over and the process repeated on the other side providing me with the pair of channels I required to suit my needs.

After the basic cuts were done, I radiused all corners using a sanding disc, and sand paper. I shall have both pieces anodized at the local plating shop.

Of course, you can do the same thing with brass if you prefer, all I would say is, be sure to use safety precautions when cutting metal. eg: face shield and good work gloves etc.

Cutting non-ferrous metals on your saw is relatively simple. Just be sure to feed the material at a slow even rate through the saw. I always shut my shop to prevent visitors from entering when I am doing such work. . . . It's called being pro-active to prevent an accident.

Some folk advocate installing your blade in reverse for this type of metal work, using the back side of the carbide tooth to perform the cut. The thought being, there's less chance of "tooth-grab" when feeding the metal into the blade.

Personally, I do not subscribe to this idea. The teeth were never meant to cut on the back side and I believe it's possible to knock the carbide tips off when cutting in this manner. I use my blades in the conventional manner and have had no problems doing so.

The one thing I dislike about cutting aluminum is the millions of little silver flakes all over the shop when I'm done. It takes forever to suck them all ionto the shop-vac.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Anodized material when cut, drilled or sanded leaves a new surface that is not anodized. I don't see this as an option at any price. Making the pieces (cutting, sanding, drilling screw holes, whatever) then having them anodized is certainly a viable route, but is is really much cheaper than bronze or brass?

Wood works too, is that an option for you?
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Skipper599
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

Hirilondë wrote:Anodized material when cut, drilled or sanded leaves a new surface that is not anodized. I don't see this as an option at any price. Making the pieces (cutting, sanding, drilling screw holes, whatever) then having them anodized is certainly a viable route, but is is really much cheaper than bronze or brass?

Wood works too, is that an option for you?
To clarify . . . the box tubing was NOT anodised in the first place and, I did say: " I shall have both pieces anodized at the local plating shop".

As was true in my case, aluminum is the best choice. The application being a single drop board for the face of a teak step accessing the companionway from the cockpit. The aluminum channels could well spend much of their time in extremely wet conditions. eg: the floor of the cockpit.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Skipper599 wrote: To clarify . . . the box tubing was NOT anodised in the first place and, I did say: " I shall have both pieces anodized at the local plating shop".
I know you did, that is exactly why I made the comment, to elaborate on the subject. It wasn't directed at you at all, but to comment on Brandon's original thoughts.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Popeye1865
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Popeye1865 »

Thanks for the input I decided on some stainless that should do the trick. I probably should have called the local steel yard but was feeling lazy and sitting in front of my computer felt like a nice place to order some material.

thanks
Brandon