Rocna ANchor Fail!

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
s/v Faith
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v 'Faith'
Boat Type: 1964 Pearson Ariel (#226)

Rocna ANchor Fail!

Post by s/v Faith »

I posted this on SailFar... I thought you might like to see it here also.

The 'new generation' anchors are great, but have done nothing to quell the long standing debate over which one is best.

The truth is anchoring has more to do with proper seamanship then the bit of metal at the end of the rode.

I bought my Manson Supreme in 2006 (IIRC) and have had outstanding service from it.... it has never dragged.... even through a hurricane.

When I bought my Manson, I also looked at the Rocna. Both were then made in New Zealand and were very similar in appearance. I do not doubt that either would have been a good choice (at the time) but the Rocna was more expensive.... and the Manson had Loyds certification so I went with the Manson Supreme.

Over the years, I have followed the discussion and frankly some of the marketing was ugly... it was more mud slinging then fact, and Rocna seemed to be the most active in the slinging... I grew less and less pleased with the marketing.

A while back Rocna moved their production to China, I was skeptical (I know China has produced many questionable products, and would not recommend using Chinese steel in such an important component as my ground tackle.

Some photos surfaced of rusty Rocnas (with apparent galvanization issues) and others of Rocna's with bent shanks (after Rocna reps slammed Manson for much less significant bending). Image

A third party (excellent poster known as Main Sail) challenged Rocna to test their anchor;s construction... the declined to participate so an off the shelf Rocna was tested against an off the shelf Manson Supreme and....

Well Manson just paid for some independent testing, to see if Rocna could live up to their claims of being superior.
The Manson Challenge To Rocna

"If you would please bring down your anchor, we can test it on our calibrated and certified test jig. We have tested it against ours. We have videoed those tests. However in the interests of posting something that you will not say is made up, I welcome you to come here and we will video your face as we do the tests so the readers can see what eating your words after years of misinformation looks like.

Put up or shut up Craig. Any time you would like to test your anchor we are here. Any time."

Last edited by Maine Sail; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:50 AM.
The tests results are here.

I have long not been a fan of Rocna, but would absolutely not feel comfortable recommending one based on the this and the discussions that have taken place here. (warning, 17 pages long!)
1964 Pearson Ariel #226
'Faith' (the Triton's little sister)

Referred by;

www.sailfar.net

and

www.pearsonariel.org
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Rocna ANchor Fail!

Post by Hirilondë »

I was hired to build a bow sprit/roller combo for the use of a Rocna on a Hinckley Picnic Boat. It was one of the most frustrating assingment I have ever undertaken. I have been very successful in the past designing bow sprit anchor roller platforms to meet the needs of different boats. But this project drove me bonkers.

The Rocna may hold well, but it is the absolutely most difficult anchor to haul onto the roller, stow there and deploy. I hate it. Some engineers have way too much time on their hands and don't know when to quit.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.