In search of moldings

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Kiwipete
Bottom Sanding Grunt

In search of moldings

Post by Kiwipete »

I'm about to reface the bulkheads in the heads compartment with that fiberglass sheet they sell in Lowes etc. i am planning on covering the joins with teak or teak lookalike moldings, about 3/8" by 1" or 1 1/2". Does anyone know of a good source for such moldings? Or maybe point me towards another suitable wood that I could stain if need be?

Currently the bulkheads are covered with vinyl that looks awful and is peeling away in places. Nasty.
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: In search of moldings

Post by earlylight »

Try any of these.

H & L Marine Woodwork Inc - Compton, California
Exotic umber, Annapolis, MD (www.exoticlumberinc.com/)
West Marine (www.westmarine.com/)
Defender Industries (www.defender.com/)
Hamilton Marine (www.hamiltonmarine.com/)
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Squidd
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Lazy Lady
Boat Type: Paceship PY26

Post by Squidd »

I like "Cumaru" South American hardwood similar characteristics to teak, little lighter in color but you can stain to match...

Generally much less expensive and readily available...
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I routinely make my own mouldings of whatever wood is appropriate to the project. Router, radial arm saw with the three-blade moulding cutter (I grind my own profiles). Teak mills perfectly well with carbide tools; ditto Makore. Oak, pine, redwood, and other softer woods mill adequately with steel cutters. Some woods are brittle with wavy grain susceptible to tear-out, like Walnut; these require sharp bits with high tip speeds (like a router). Some woods, particularly Cypress, are very stringy and require lots of clean-up with sandpaper after milling. I have, for many years, used a homemade router table designed to guide stock past the bit, milling all sorts of stuff (including aluminum, using a solid carbide router bit). With an adequate table, you can make multiple passes using different bits and make up quite complex shapes.

I match the moulding profiles that the original manufacturer used when I make pieces for the boat. Typically, they're simply 'rounded over' and a router will do that perfectly with a table.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Our boat has pressboard ceilings which were installed like the fiberglass sheet goods you're thinking of. The joins are done with 'H' section plastic mouldings which are available at Lowes and the Depot. These fiberglass sheet goods are sold for wall coverings and are too shiny and pebbly-patterned for my taste. I installed it backside out and sanded smooth when I used it for shower stall ceiling at home. Looks like a plastered ceiling.