Biaxial cloth

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Biaxial cloth

Post by windrose »

Got a good source for biaxial cloth? Need about 10 yds of 60" for the keel repair.
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Not sure about 60" but Jamestown has 38 inch 17oz biax?25 yards for 178. Would that work or do you need the full 60" width?
Last edited by dasein668 on Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Maneuvering a pre-wet section of 60" biax sounds like a tricky proposition. Perhaps this is why you're having trouble finding it.

30' x 60" is a LOT of material. Are you repairing or rebuilding that keel? ;)

Seriously, though, that's a lot of really heavy material. I can't even imagine how much resin that will absorb.
RayN

Post by RayN »

hello,
I've been lurking for quit awhile now, but since I have some info regarding this question I thought I'd register and post.
Raka Inc. shows biaial cloth on its website (www.raka.com/fiberglasscloth.html) in 50 inch widths. They list +/- 45 0600, 0900, 1200, 1208, 1700, 1708 weights as well as 1800 0/90. I've never ordered from them but plan to for a small boat project this spring.
windrose

Post by windrose »

Thanks Guys. I have used RAKA epoxy on several small boats I have built. I guess I did not realize Larry also sold cloth. Nice guy, small family owned operation. Great product. I find I am not as sensitive to Raka as I am to West System. I'll call Larry tomorrow.
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
radicalcy
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: AllAboutMe
Boat Type: Columbia 8.7

Post by radicalcy »

I have 200 yards of 60 inch plain weave. Its about 12 oz. Its clean, and wets out well. You can do opposing overlays and achieve the same result as using biaxial. I'll sell you 20 yards for $100. Send me your address and I'll send you a sample.
Larry Wilson
Radicalcy@yahoo.com
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
windrose

Post by windrose »

Larry, thank you for the kind offer. However, I already got some cloth from Hamilton. I'm trying to get the ol' gal to the water and the glass will need to off gas a few weeks before I paint it. (I already made that mistake once finishing a little boat to get to a boat festival and painting green glass to soon).
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215