Icebox Can Holder

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Icebox Can Holder

Post by Tim »

I saw a cool idea in Cruising World last fall that I'm planning to implement on Glissando this year.

With our deep, irregularly-shaped icebox, and my penchant for overfilling it with ice (making space at a premium), placing soda and beer cans in and around the ice and food so that they stay cold and accessible is a real challenge. It's all well enough when the cooler is not filled with food, but when cruising it was a real pain.

The idea is to use some lengths of 3" PVC pipe as can organizers. Drill the pipe(s) full of large-ish holes to promote proper meltwater drainage and flow, and fashion some sort of can lifter that will pull the cans up from the bottom (the original article had some drawings...maybe I'll find it and post something more later). With the can lifter in the tube, and the pipe secured in one corner (or wherever) of the icebox, one can load numerous cans conveniently into the pipe for easy access.

I'll try and find the original article and post a link here.

Anyway...

Tim
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Mr. PVC pipe strikes again!

I meant to ask this before: how cold were the cans that you took out of your bilge? Were they cool, tepid, or warm? Seems like it should stay pretty cool down there....
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Here is a drawing of the can organizer

Post by Tim »

With full credit to Cruising World and all that, yada yada yada...

Probably the lighter-weight PVC (I always forget--is that sch. 40 or sch. 80?) would be the best choice for this, to keep the wall thickness to a minimum.

Oh, and the cans in the bilge stayed fairly cool--certainly not as cold and refreshing as cans from the ice, but cool enough to drink if you had to. Somewhere between cool and tepid. But nothing beats that super-ice-cold Coke or beer on a hot summer day.

Tim
Geoff Adams Sr.

re: pvc pipe schedules

Post by Geoff Adams Sr. »

Hi Tim, I remember from when I was in the a/c trade in Fla. that the larger the # the thicker the pipe wall. i.e. 40 is thicker than 20, 80 thicker than 40, etc. We always used #40 for our useage (condensation drains) and the electricians used #80 most commonly and thicker (don't remember the #) for buried cable. Also the #80 is gray in color and the #40 is the white if that makes a difference. (thicker is also more expensive too)