Bronze continuous (piano) hinges?

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Bronze continuous (piano) hinges?

Post by dasein668 »

Anybody here ever seen/heard of bronze continuous hinges? Supplier? A quick search for "bronze piano hinge" on google turns up 3 hits, with nothing useful; "bronze continous hinge" turns up no hits at all.

This isn't something critical, but I'd sure like to use one on my new hatch. Obviously there are other solutions.
hesper
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by hesper »

Hi Nathan,
You say Bronze piano hinges. Can you not use brass? I don't know as I've seen bronze piano hinges. How about these...

Hatch Hinges Highly polished Bronze. Quick release pin. Pin Hole is large enough to accept a lock with a 5/16 shank. Includes 5/16 quick release pins. Sold in Pairs. Use #10 fasteners

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/ak ... index.html

Jim
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

This may be a toughie. I know I've seen bronze continuous hinges on old boats. They do exist. But does anyone make/sell them today? Possibly not, because you can form steel or brass into long hinge a lot more easily/cheaply than you can cast the same piece in bronze.

Try hunting with folks that sell hardware for those old butterfly-style skylight hatches. Classic marine or maybe even bristol bronze?
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Jim, I could use brass, but for corrosion resistance I would choose 316 stainless first. Bronze would be an ideal choice for that classic look combined with function, but top quality stainless would work just as well.

Still bronze would be nice!

Mike, that's a good thought. I shudder to think about using Bristol Bronze for anything, but maybe... I'll check with Classic Marine first.
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Neither has bronze hinges listed (classic has brass) but I have sent emails to both parties. I'll keep you posted!
Figment

Post by Figment »

so..... how'd you make out?
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Oh, Mike, why? Why do you insist on dredging up these old posts and pointing out that we never followed up? Ha.

Actually, I just used stainless hinge for the application. Roger at Bristol Brnze indicated to me via email that he either had, or could provide, continuous hinge in bronze, but, well...
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Here, in fact, is exactly what Roger said:
Roger at Bristol Bronze wrote:We don't make but do have available three sizes of piano hinges. They are sold in six foot lengths in 1 1/16" wide, 1 1/2" wide, and 2" wide.

If any of these sizes fit your needs we will be happy to supply you.
Figment

Post by Figment »

For my own selfish purposes, of course. I'm considering a piano hinges vs individuals for the cockpit lids I haven't even cut yet.

Yes, I'm still waiting for Roger to call me back about the bolts he was supposed to make in a week two full years ago. Does he still attend the maine boatbuilder's show every year? It'd be worth the price of admission just to rattle his clock a bit.
Figment

Post by Figment »

and I'm CERTAIN that one could find a bunch my own loose ends with a bit of casual reading. :)
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:and I'm CERTAIN that one could find a bunch my own loose ends with a bit of casual reading. :)
Oh, if only one had the time and inclination to do so...hehe
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Figment wrote:Yes, I'm still waiting for Roger to call me back about the bolts he was supposed to make in a week two full years ago. Does he still attend the maine boatbuilder's show every year? It'd be worth the price of admission just to rattle his clock a bit.
That sounds familiar. I don't know if he goes tot he MBB show?I haven't been to in about 5 years.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

He has been there the last couple of years.

-Britton