Torqeedo Outboards

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Torqeedo Outboards

Post by Case »

Never heard of it? Well, you might start seeing it more often, at least in certain applications. Particularly one design sailboat racing and daysailors.

I first saw it in the brand new West Marine catalog I got today in the mail. No, I do not shop at West Marine all that often but still get a catalog. I don't mind getting those catalogs... kinda fun looking at the vast collection of overpriced (not all of them but most) marine items.

Website of Torqeedo Outboards:

http://www.torqeedo.com

I am most impressed with these electric outboards, particularly the 2 hp outboard with its own built in battery. If I kept my J22 or the like at the dock and only used the motor to power out to the race course, I would definitely buy that 2 hp motor. Its LIGHTER than the 2 hp Honda! And remember... the battery is already in the motor itself!

Wreck Marine's online price is $ 1399 for the 2 hp version (oddly the catalog lists $1599).

- Case
Noah

Post by Noah »

Thanks for the head's up. This would be perfect for the Melges 24 that I race on. I wish there was more info on how they hold up and work.
I want a shop!
Case

Post by Case »

In the new 2007 West Marine catalog, the 2 hp version was highly recommended by a West Marine Associate who race one design.

But still... this electric outboard is a new thing. The jury is still out on how reliable and functional Torqeedo really is. It would be up to you to become a guinea pig. Somebody has got to try the new things first and find it either great or excretable.

Even with the lack of real life data on the outboard, I still find them rather interesting... I sense that these outboards are the wave of the future, at least in some specific applications.

- Case
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Thanks for pointing these out. They DO look very interesting, particularly the lithium batteries and their attention to getting things right (Efficiency Chart).

I am much more impressed with their excellent information than with Minn-Kota's idiotic marketing, and suspiciously weak technical back-up.
Minn-Kota wrote:When lesser motors are reduced to weak-kneed fodder for the junk heap, Riptide brings it like a champ.
My 24' Westwind has an outboard well, and originally came with a hull plug for sailing with the outboard removed. The lightness of these motors would make that much easier to do, and make sailing more fun!
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I think the key to the new electric outboards is the lithium batteries. Compare the weight for any given stored amperage and you will see why I think this. When the price drops on this component they will become very practical to own. For cruising though I don't see them as a viable option even if they are powerful enough.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.