actually going sailing?

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

actually going sailing?

Post by Figment »

Our Maine contingent is quiet today.

hmmm, wonder why.....

weather.com tells me 77 degrees, 16knots gusting to 24.

I wonder if the boys have blown off work to go sailing???
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Close...

It was a perfect day in almost all ways, but we didn't actually go sailing--it was very windy, too windy for pleasant sailing. I did some minor maintenance on the boat while holding on in the gusts, and at 3:00 Heidi came out for the evening--at which time the wind died quickly and completely. But Heather and Nathan had the same idea and were on Dasein, so we got together for cocktails on an absolutely perfect evening, and spent the night on our respective boats. Then the gray, calm Saturday morning disappeared in a haze of coffee, breakfast, and conversation. When it suddenly became afternoon, and light rain developed, we both headed in.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Re: actually going sailing?

Post by dasein668 »

Figment wrote: I wonder if the boys have blown off work to go sailing???
This boy has no more work at all, actually. Got laid off on Wednesday, so now every day is a sailing day! hehe
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Well, I've got to say... I'm really getting used to this "underemployed" thing... Blew off "work" today and had a great sail with Tim... 15.7 miles in everything from light flukey air to "coamings submerged." Ahhhhhh. The good life.
kaynee30

sail today

Post by kaynee30 »

Crazy wind here in bb too. 20+kt five hours to the islands and back. FLUKEY...the vane was spinnin' like the one in the Wizard of Oz. Much easier with improved vang and downhaul. Tried wing n' wing....I really sucked at it...need to pole out the jib. 20, 25., 30 degrees heel. Yipes. Heart in mouth. Nothing broke. Today's lesson: don't try to heave-to in gusty wind with an unreefed main and jib. Walkin' on the water.
Engine running really well...but I still have these anxieties. Note to self: get Prozac in medicine bag (I kid) Got a pic or two to send.
Jeff
Figment

Post by Figment »

Sailing? What's that?

The boat's supposed to move by power of wind you say?

Well, I thought I'd give it a try.

Yesterday was the first opportunity to get Figment moving under sail, as it was the first time I was able to have "backup crew" along for a shakey shakedown. Yesterday was also 15kts gusting to 18, with 3 and 4 foot rollers. Not the best shakedown weather, but I'd been waiting too friggin long.

The main got stuck about 1/3 of the way up. Sticky slides, and McLube was useless in that wind. After wrestling the main back down, I gave the genoa a shot. She hoisted fine, but it appears that the boat is simply not set up for it. We turned around, much to the relief of my buddy's petrified girlfriend, and had a good swim in the harbor.

Today was a bit better. 6-12 knots, maybe 18" swells. Some rigging grease got the main slides sliding like butter again. Only then did I notice that the batten pockets are empty. A bit flappish, but overall decent sailshape.
Genoa hoisted again, and again the boat just isn't set up for it. I'm going to guess that it's a 150, and that the boat is only set up for a 130 or so. I only have one set of tracks, mounted up against the house, extending from mid-window to mid-window. Too far inboard, and not nearly far enough aft to get a fair sheet lead for this sail. Sheet-leading was further complicated by the SWMBO-mandated doggie safety netting that has become the thorn in my side. I have another sail to try, and I hope it's smaller, though by appearances it's in poor shape.

Despite all of this, we outpointed and downright ROMPED RIGHT OVER the 4 other boats that left harbor with us. Critics will point out that we had 2 or 3 feet on them in waterline, but I'm not listening. Serves them right for being a bunch of plumb-stemmed scoop-transomed high-topsided tubs!

Yeah, I like the way this boat sails.

-
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Congrats on your maiden voyage(s)!
Figment wrote:...and had a good swim in the harbor.
So tell me: what's it like having water warm enough to have a pleasant swim off your boat? We don't know about that here...
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Well, Tim, you just might get the chance tonight: I heard a report yesterday that the water up at Snow Island is pushing 75 degrees... Bring your suit!
Figment

Post by Figment »

I didn't say anything about the swim being warm, did I??

After an hour of sweating buckets as a result of boat wrestling, I was ready for Polar Bear status.