Did you miss me? Check this out!

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer

Did you miss me? Check this out!

Post by heartofgold »

Sorry I have been out of the loop for so long, my friends, but sometimes life gets in the way of the important things (like sailboats). Anyway, this is off topic, but I really wanted to share it with the group.

I had the opportunity today to go 22 miles off shore to witness the sinking of a Korean War era aircraft carrier, the USS Oriskany. We were required to stay a mile way, but a boat that size (888 feet long) is hard to miss. Over 500 pounds of C4 took out all the old thru-hull fittings, and she sank in 36 minutes to 200' of water. The main purpose is as an artificial reef. The flight deck is at a depth of 130' and the conning tower is 60' down, all within reach of divers. The event was quite spectacular to witness. Within a week, I hope to have more photos (from my boss on a a different boat) and some video footage (it really finished up quick enough to put it on a 5 minute vid clip...we'll see).

Enjoy! I hope everyone in the north is fairing well.

Regards,
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Hi Doug--welcome back! I thought you'd deserted us...

Very cool pictures of the AC sinking. Here's a direct link for everybody:

Oriskany Sinks
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

I caught that on the news last night. Very cool!
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by heartofgold »

OOPS! Thanks Tim for that link, I guess I forgot to add that for everyone! It was quite a site to see in person. I have some more detailed photos from my boss, who thinks of himself as a pretty smart photographer. I will post them to the site the first chance I get.

And no, I haven't abandoned the group. Like so many people, I have just been extremely busy. I pop in every so often to try to catch up on my reading, but it is not as often as I would like. I will try to keep up from now on, but first I have 6 months of logs to post for my own website.
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Doug-are you still at PMSC? We'll be there aboard Tehani first weekend in June- sailing that way on Sat. Maybe we can arrange to meet and say hello.
grampianman
Master Varnisher

Six month breaks, hey, we all need 'em.

Post by grampianman »

Hello Doug,
I can appreciate how life happens. I've had the whole juggling bit with job, family, house, boat, dog, etc. since I took on my restoration project almost two years ago. So, I look forward to your postings both here and on your site. I enjoyed the photos of the sinking of the Oriskany. I had witnessed the sinking of a 230 footer off the west coast of Barbados quite a few years ago and that was pretty cool. 800 plus feet going down would have been extraordinary.
Cheers,
Ian