Over? OVER?!??!

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Over? OVER?!??!

Post by dasein668 »

Dasein's season is over. I can hardly believe it.

But I did manage a great sail on Monday before I had to start getting the boat ready to haul. I think this picture sums it up pretty well:

Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

It's not over till October's over, Nathan!

Post by Tom Young »

Nice shot! October is almost my favorite. We've been lucky the last few years and I'm hoping for more. I'm also in a good position for watching the weather in late Oct., early Nov. here in Rockport. Once most of the boats are hauled, I can usually pick my weather for the haul out. Alas, things are changing even in my sleepy town. I'm headed out today for some sailing.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Alas, no invitations were forthcoming...

That is it. I need new friends with boats.

-Britton
bhartley
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D

Last sail...

Post by bhartley »

Miranda was plunked back on her trailer Friday morning (best $72 I've spent in a while).

We had wonderful sailing all month up here in MA. Five minute walk to the beach, five minute row to the mooring -- can't beat that. Now we're heading back to the drive an hour to get to the lake. I shouldn't complain too much since we do have a lot more sailing left to do in the South. After a spring filled with epoxy and grinding fiberglass, I am thoroughly enjoying just sailing.

Clearly we didn't have as much wind on our last sail, but it was a beautiful day.

Bly
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

October: Not in Falmouth, thanks.

I would have left the boat in for another couple weeks, but my hauler was pretty specific about when he was willing to truck my boat from Yarmouth out to Whitefield. In a perfect world I would have the boat someplace with a little protection and would shoot for Nov 1 haulout, but in Falmouth... I'm uncomfortable leaving the boat in past Columbus Day. And even that's pushing it.

But October is my favorite time for sailing, so... Anyone?
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

bcooke wrote:Alas, no invitations were forthcoming...
Boy you sure know how to make a guy feel bad!

You need to be more pushy: like Tim!

That day almost didn't happen... so you would have gotten a call at about 10:30 am for a noon sailing time.

I'll do better next summer: promise!
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Robert The Gray »

All right! That's IT!! I will now have to go right out and take a starboard rail wet picture. It seems to be the view of the day. pretty shots guys.

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Boy you sure know how to make a guy feel bad!
Hehe, its my speciality. I could have been pushy but I put the time to good use on my project instead. Had I accepted an invitation I would have been fretting about all the work I should have been doing on my own boat.

So you are storing the boat in Whitefield? That's a long drive after work every evening. Could be tough finishing your interior by next spring.

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote:Could be tough finishing your interior by next spring.
Look who's talking, mistah! ;<)

Great picture, Nathan. I remember the moment well.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Ummm... yeah.

Nice photo BTW. Just today I was wondering where you mounted your jib sheet tracks.

-Britton
radicalcy
Boat Name: AllAboutMe
Boat Type: Columbia 8.7

Season over? Not hardly!!!

Post by radicalcy »

Assuming the weather is similar to last year, my sailing season is just getting interesting here on the Chesapeake. June,July and August are soooo hot, that I really don't get out unless there's a really overcast day with no threat of thunderstorms.(not likely)
September,October, November and December have been good for me in the past, with a couple of good sailing days in January. February has been a no go, a few days in late March. Then April and May. If time permitted, I'd sail every day these two months. My problem is; when do I haul the boats for bottom maintenance? The yards are all full in another month, and the marina owners are on vacation in Florida, or cruising in the Bahamas. Trying to make reservations during the warm months is like pulling teeth, because there are so many folks in my same predicament. They don't want to spend extended time on the hard when they could be sailing. I guess I should get my Scuba certification, and just do the bottom cleaning in the water.
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

The weekend started nicely.
We had our Last Sail of the season in a nice 20kt northwesterly. Good fun, but when we got home we discovered that our water heater had burst and flooded the walk-in closet below, the shorted-out fire alarm system blaring, the dog a quivering wretch in the corner of the living room.
Looking for a swanky way to spend your next big saturday night? Go to home depot, pick up a nice shiny new water heater, then hurry home (via taco bell) and break out the blowtorch! High times, I tell ya!

Sunday morning was spent at the local emergency room because I woke at 4:30 with some strange yet violent allergic reaction.

But of course, there was more to come. Today was Haulout Day, the lowest of all possible lows. Summer is well and truly OVER!

Next weekend: LOCUSTS!!!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Figment wrote: Sunday morning was spent at the local emergency room because I woke at 4:30 with some strange yet violent allergic reaction.
House plumbing repairs, perhaps?
Figment wrote: Next weekend: LOCUSTS!!!
Har!

--- R.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Ouch!!

Some people will find any excuse to put off winterizing their boats.

Only six months til re-launch. hup hup, no delays now!
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

My condolences

Post by MQMurphy »

Sorry to hear about the end of the season for you northerners - this is my first season and I'm hoping to leave Ikey Boy in all year. I've sailed with a friend on New Year's Day a few times in the past, and I'm looking forward to doing it on my own boat this year.
Really liked those rail-down photos, folks.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24