IBEX 2007

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

IBEX 2007

Post by Tim »

I'm making tentative plans to attend IBEX 2007, a professional boatbuilders' show and convention which runs from October 10-12, 2007 in Miami, FL.

There's no real information about the 2007 show available yet, but is anyone else interested in going to this show?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I really wanted to go to the 2006 show, but didn't. So perhaps 2007.

Plastic Classic southern rendez-vous?

Rachel
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

You can get average-joe-off-the-street into IBEX? Nice. I was under the impression that it's VERY STRICTLY industry-only. Have they relaxed the rules now that it's the same weekend as Annapolis?

I'll probably do Annapolis again this year, and skip Newport.
rshowarth
Skilled Systems Installer

Annapolis

Post by rshowarth »

Annapolis was great this year. The last in the water show I had been to was Newport, years ago. Newport had great weather that year and, as a result, had large crowds.

Annapolis this year had building winds and rain. Perfect for seeing all the boats you wanted without waiting in lines.

With the sound of the wind in the rigging and the rain striking the deck, I was longing to close the door to the cabin in the Tartan 4400 and take a nap.

I am going to pray for rain again next year.
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
Tim

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:You can get average-joe-off-the-street into IBEX? Nice. I was under the impression that it's VERY STRICTLY industry-only. Have they relaxed the rules now that it's the same weekend as Annapolis?
Yes, but individuals involved in the trade (me) could obtain the necessary passes for others under the umbrella of their organization, of course.

It is strictly controlled access, but any trade show is full of people who aren't in the trade, but who got their passes from someone who is.

As I said, these are tentative plans, with details to be worked out; there isn't even 2007 information available yet, other than the dates and location. But if others here are interested, I thought it'd be interesting to see about getting the necessary passes. One can't start planning too early for such a trip.
Last edited by Tim on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I should add that groups of three or more (from the same organization) receive a 10% discount, too.

Annapolis, schnannapolis. Try something different this year!
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

What kind of presentations/workshops/etc do they have at these events? If they seem productive enough I might be able to convince my boss to send me on the clock!
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
JetStream
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Sojourn
Boat Type: Pearson 27

Post by JetStream »

I went to IBEX a few years back in Miami. I found it to be a really good thing to do for learning. I can promise that it is WAAAAAAY different than a regular retail boat show. You get a chance to speak with all the engineers that designed the stuff you will be looking at and there are some very informative seminars. As an example, I attended one seminar where several boat manufacturers got into a fairly good discussion about whether or not you needed a tie coat when putting epoxy into a mold that was already gel-coated. Another was all about lightning protection and why bonding this way works better than bonding that way etc. I think it would be way fun to go there with Tim as I'm sure he'll be very well received and quite well known in the industry.
Bruce
Tim

Post by Tim »

A large part of IBEX is the seminars that are offered--many different sessions each day. There are various packages one can purchase that give the attendee a certain number of seminars, or so-called "super sessions", which are more focused presentations on specific topics. All of these also give you a pass to the exhibition hall.

None of the information for 2007 is posted yet, but if you want an idea what this is all about, go to the main website and browse around, or check out the links I posted below.

I have never been, and don't know that much about it all. I thought it'd be interesting, and there are always some seminars that look valuable. All reports I have heard from IBEX indicate that it is an excellent show.

Main IBEX Site

2006 IBEX Seminar Info (PDF)

2006 Brochure Listing Package Prices (PDF)

I'm not trying to sell the show. I just wanted to see if anyone was interested in going along, assuming that I go myself. I wish it wasn't in Miami, that's all.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I think it would be fun to go. I might even be able to justify it as a training event for my job. I will be looking for more info on 07 as it comes out and will start conversing with my boss.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
grampianman
Master Varnisher

Post by grampianman »

I've had tickets to go for two years in a row and what with the hurricanes of 2005 and life in 2006, haven't had the chance. Perhaps the third time is the charm.
The seminars look good and there appears to be a lot of information available. No, not a boatshow at all.
Yes, I'd be interested in making a go of it this year.

Cheers,
Ian, G-23 Wing & a Prayer