It's all turned sour!!!

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
feetup
Almost a Finish Carpenter

It's all turned sour!!!

Post by feetup »

Before last August when I bought my current boat, on the hard, and began a fairly comprehensive refit, I placed my name as number 127 on a waiting list at a local marina that was in the process of expanding by some 300 new slips. I was assured by the manager that there would be no problem getting a slip by spring. Last week I checked on how things were going, to find out that the list had grown to well over 400 and that somehow through the miracle of mathematics I had slipped to the higher 300's on the list, and that there was little likelyhood of my boat getting wet at all this year, maybe not even the next. I felt like I had been hit with a shovel.
I began feverishly looking at all the other marinas within a 30 mile radius only to hear the same basic tale at all of them, "5 double pages" "number 331" " no space at all" and the good news "number 41 if you dont want power or water." The rates are all climbing towards the "big city rates" and where I was allowed to view the list it appeared that the majority of the names were from outside the area, lots from outside the province, and a surprising number from outside the country.
It seems our tranquil little sailing paradise has been discovered by the rich and the powerfull.
It seems sailing has lost it's purity, or perhaps I was just naive and never saw it as it really is.
As it stands I may have the nicest U.S. 25 that will never float and quite likely will never sell.
Leaves a real bitter taste.

Feetup
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Have you checked into moorings? They are certainly the much cheaper and more readily available alternative here. Maybe you can even find someone who is not using theirs for the season. Or perhaps a slip a bit farther from your originally planned home port? You've got to get that boat in the water!
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

It's curious that your name went from 120something to 300something on the list. that's fishy. Of course a lot has to do with boat size.

The rest of that all sounds really familiar. The situation was much the same here several years ago, but it all balanced out eventually.

It seems like there are hundreds if not thousands of people waiting for slips, but really it's a small fraction of that. Everyone has their name on the list at three or four different places, and so when the marina manager has an opening, the first fifteen or twenty calls often land on people who've already found a spot elsewhere and just didn't bother to call around and remove their name from the list. All it takes is one marina expansion to relieve what seems like an enormous amount of market pressure.

Lately, I see a lot of "slips available" ads around here.
Summersdawn
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Summersdawn »

The real shame is 90% of those boats will never even leave the dock - they are just taking up valuable space.

Aren't they re-doing the waterfront in Ladysmith? I've heard the Oak Bay Marine Group bought out Ivy Green, and is redoing it. That might explain the sudden surge of boats on the waiting list - temporary shortage of dock space, and the advertising power of a large company.

Have you checked out Paige Point? I was under the impression that they were taking moorage, but that might have changed. What about Boat Harbour in Cedar? I would try Nanaimo and Maple Bay as well, its only a 20-25 minute drive.

If I hear of anything, I will let you know.

Good luck.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
feetup

Post by feetup »

Thanks Rick;

Yes, my name is down at all but boat harbour, and they havn't returned my calls.
There was an article in the local Ladysmith paper describing Oak Bay Marine Group's expansion of Ladysmith Ivy Green and how they were sending a "reprisentative" to Alberta and the U.S.A. to sell all the new slips. I think that explains my slide on the waiting list. Speaking with Page Point I understand that there is a good deal more money to be made from 40 foot plus boats than from the smaller ones, and the concept of absentee owners is a lucrative one for those that watch over these boats. I get the impression talking with other marina managers that the Oak Bay Marine Group is responsible for many of our woes here on the Island.
I believe that greedy people are responsible for much of what is wrong in the world, but it seems a shame that they can ruin such a natural, pristine thing as sailing.
Sorry to whine here, this is such an all around fabulous forum, but I needed to vent.
In the mean time if you hear of anyone looking for rail meat....

Feetup
Summersdawn

Post by Summersdawn »

I occasionally crew on a J-105 out of Ladysmith, if he is looking for additional crew, I'll let you know.

Usually there are people looking for additional crew for the Nanaimo Yacht Club sunday races. Show up at the clubhouse for the skippers meeting, and you will get on a boat. Want the schedule?
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

feetup wrote:I believe that greedy people are responsible for much of what is wrong in the world, but it seems a shame that they can ruin such a natural, pristine thing as sailing.
Developers (aka greedy people) are the root of all evil. All they care about is turning the next big profit, without regard to the lasting effects they might have on whatever area they've targeted. Then they move on to the next big thing, whether it's yet another big-box mall or waterfont condos in a gorgeous setting that will never be gorgeous again after they're through with it.

We have this problem in Maine, too, and it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:Developers (aka greedy people) are the root of all evil.
Geez, Tim. I thought lawyers were the root of all evil. Consistency, man!
jpmathieu
Boat Name: Twize
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Post by jpmathieu »

As hestitant as I am to admit this, I resemble that remark, . Although I can't stand most lawyers but some Lawyers are plastic classic sailors too.
JP
Renegade #153 TWIZE

It never ends!
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

jpmathieu wrote:
As hestitant as I am to admit this, I resemble that remark, . Although I can't stand most lawyers but some Lawyers are plastic classic sailors too.
Indeed. :)
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

I'm sure my wife will appreciate the sentiment! ;-D
Summersdawn

Post by Summersdawn »

Tim wrote:
feetup wrote:I believe that greedy people are responsible for much of what is wrong in the world, but it seems a shame that they can ruin such a natural, pristine thing as sailing.
Developers (aka greedy people) are the root of all evil. All they care about is turning the next big profit, without regard to the lasting effects they might have on whatever area they've targeted. Then they move on to the next big thing, whether it's yet another big-box mall or waterfont condos in a gorgeous setting that will never be gorgeous again after they're through with it.

We have this problem in Maine, too, and it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
It is currently going nuts in our neck of the woods. In Nanaimo, the plan is to put up highrises everywhere. All the locals are pretty upset. Fortunately, 2 of the bigger waterfront projects were turned down (at least in there initial form). These included a pair of 28 story highrises in a neighbourhood with a 27' building height restriction, and a huge 3500 person development in an undeveloped, beautiful waterfront area (Dodds Narrows). We've yet to see plan B, but rumour has it it is going to be 12 story waterfront highrises, and a smaller development in Dodds Narrows.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Dodd's Narrows? Developed? Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! Dodd's was the first "narrows" I went through when I was cruising in B.C. - I felt like Muriel Blanchet at the helm. (The next few days were spent in the nice island-that's-a-park anchorage across the channel from Nanaimo.)

Greed. Bleah.
Summersdawn

Post by Summersdawn »

Rachel wrote:Dodd's Narrows? Developed? Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! Dodd's was the first "narrows" I went through when I was cruising in B.C. - I felt like Muriel Blanchet at the helm. (The next few days were spent in the nice island-that's-a-park anchorage across the channel from Nanaimo.)

Greed. Bleah.
Yeah, just south of the Narrows, adjacent to Round Island.

The island park in Nanaimo Harbour is called Newcastle Island, and the high rises were to be along Newcastle Channel, were the shipyard is. It would be quite visible from the docks/anchorage.

Several high rises are currently being built in the downtown core. All out of town developers, of course.

Feetup - there are a lot of mooring bouys in Nanaimo Harbour. Would it be possible for you to moor your boat there? I don't recall many bouys in Ladysmith Harbour, which I am asuming is because of the booming (not sure though). I know a guy who had his boat moored there for a year or two, if I run into him, I can ask him what was involved.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
Figment

Post by Figment »

dasein668 wrote:I'm sure my wife will appreciate the sentiment! ;-D
Speaking of Heather, where is she? Her participation in the forum has been rather sparse.

and don't try to tell me she has a "life"! We all know that this notion of having a "life" is pure myth!
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Figment wrote:
dasein668 wrote:I'm sure my wife will appreciate the sentiment! ;-D
Speaking of Heather, where is she? Her participation in the forum has been rather sparse.

and don't try to tell me she has a "life"! We all know that this notion of having a "life" is pure myth!
No, no life. Just focussing on finishing law school!

I'll pass along your concern, however!
Figment

Post by Figment »

"Focus"? Bah! More mythology!

(yes, please give her my best)

=)
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:We all know that this notion of having a "life" is pure myth!
I don't know how one could hope for more out of life than playing with, working on, and talking about boats.

What else is there? Well, there's dogs too, but they fit in fine with the above.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
jpmathieu
Boat Name: Twize
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Post by jpmathieu »

I thought lawyers were the root of all evil
I don't know how one could hope for more out of life than playing with, working on, and talking about boats.
I consider my day job as mearly a means to an end which I consider a big fiberglass hulk in my yard (good thing my wife and kids donn't read this)
JP
Renegade #153 TWIZE

It never ends!
Summersdawn

Post by Summersdawn »

Feetup,

Are you still interested in being "railmeat"? If you are, I can get you a spot on my friend's J105 on Sunday. Transfer beach out to the reef on Thetis. He's a good guy to sail with. Competitive, with out being a Bligh.

The boat is pretty cool to crew on. Lots of toys, giant asymmetric on a sprit, code 0, wind seeker, tape drive sails, Harken gear, etc.

It will be him, his wife, and myself. If you are interested, let me know.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
feetup

J-105

Post by feetup »

Rick;
Sorry I didn't read your email till just now. This is my work email so I don't read anything on the weekends.
Thanks for thinking of me.
I spent Saturday volunteering at the Ladysmith Maritime Society docks since almost all of the work done there is by volunteers. Pretty good bunch of folks. I don't imagine it will get my boat in the water any quicker, but it's on the water so to speak and they can truely use the help.

I spent Sunday moving a sister in law so I would have rather been with you folks.
Thanks again
Tim, AKA FEETUP
Summersdawn

Post by Summersdawn »

Didn't get the phone call until Friday evening, otherwise I would have sent the message out sooner. Maybe next time.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380