43 mile Singlehanded Race - Should I?

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

43 mile Singlehanded Race - Should I?

Post by Jason K »

Case, in another thread, wrote:Hey - Which is easier to singlehand, Mojito or Rambunctious?
The Triton, without a doubt, is an easier boat to single-hand. Although they are both are pre-disposed to a bit of weather helm, the J/30 has significantly more power and things happen a lot faster. Also, the large, transom-hung rudder on the J/30 make it very sensitive to small movements. That's normally a good thing if someone is just helming, but it's hard to leave the tiller alone. I had a very hard time trimming the genoa to close-hauled without rounding up.

I didn't even try to hoist a spinnaker as I could not tie the tiller off effectively. Does anyone have any ideas for that that would not involve permanent hardware installation?

I'm reconsidering the race - it would be a lot of work and I don't know if I have the right boat for competitive single handing. Another issue is dealing with breakage by yourself. At the end of the day Saturday, I did one of the last jibes of the day, sailing with just the main (at 7 knots, the boat is like a big dinghy with just the mainsail). On that jibe, the shackle that holds the mainsheet block to the traveler car broke. I was able to grab the mainsheet and hold on to it while I turned the boat head to wind. Fortunately, I did not break the gooseneck. I tied the mainsheet to the two jib cleats and pulled the mainsail off.

When I went to start the motor, the water idiot light and buzzer went off; there was no water pumping through the motor. Without a sail or a motor, I threw the anchor out. Then I took the motor cover off and started pulling parts off the cooling system, starting with the impeller, which had less than 2 hours running time on it. The impeller was fine, there were no leaks and I couldn't find the source of the problem. I suspected the thermostat, but I couldn't get the thermostat housing off with my limited tools; I needed a 9mm socket. I was starting the round off the aluminum bolt heads with a crescent wrench.

I put everything back together and started the motor. To my relief (it had built a bit and was getting choppy and I get seasick down below in any kind of chop) the motor seemed to be working. I pulled up the anchor and headed straight to the marina, which was only a couple miles away. As I was heading up the bayou, the alarm sounded again, so I shut the motor off and coasted. When I got closer to the slip, I restarted the motor with no problems and put the boat away without difficulty.

I'm glad I wasn't a couple dozen miles away from a marina and alone with the same problems during a race though.

By the way, the bad luck continued this evening. When I was replacing the thermostat, I sheared one the two bolts that hold the thermostat housing in place.

Then, I got a sign my luck might be turning when I was able to get the sheared bolt out of the manifold (it was nearly flush) with just pliers and foul language.

So, maybe I should do the race...What do you think (my wife thinks I'm out of my mind)?
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

Well... the J/30 is faster than many sailboats with the main only so you could... race with the main ONLY. Ridiculous, I know but doable...

I dimly recall seeing an autopilot - the tiller type in a photo. Why not use that or is it totally useless for anything other than motoring?

I was going to suggest moving the winches aft so to be just forward and outboard of the traveler so to make it easier to winch in the headsail alone. But doing this effectively turns Rambunctious into a singlehanded racer and from the website, crewed racing seems to be the thing so this solution won't work in the long term (unless 4 winches is acceptable...).

One last thing I can think of... I sailed singlehanded in a Sonar once. It was somewhat heavy helmed so for going upwind, I simply turned the tiller extension over to leeward and had it press against the coaming. The Sonar steered itself upwind well even with myself walking all around its huge cockpit. Obviously, this is difficult to do when going in directions other than upwind. Can you do this? If its possible to do this, you could go upwind for any work you need to do away from the helm then when completed, go back to the helm and go to whatever non-upwind direction you need to go to. Heavy helm does have benefits for singlehanding, at least for me.

- Case
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Few boats are truly optimized for serious single-handed things like fairly long-duration races. This is what makes such a race a potentially interesting challenge in the first place. Clearly, it's hard to race or sail a boat extremely well while singlehanding; dealing by yourself with the myriad tasks that you normally have a crew to do will be a challenge. Hopefully, that means it's fun too. Challenge for the sake of challenge, without personal reward, is just unnecessary, but if you get something out of it (without putting others in danger during the process) then it's worthwhile.

Some means of holding a reasonable course when you leave the helm is critical, since you can't possibly sail this sort of event without some need to go forward cropping up. If your helm is fairly consistent, a simple lashing or wedged tiller extension to hold you roughly where you're going is good enough for short tasks elsewhere. Obviously, if you have an autopilot that works effectively, and it's use is not forbidden by the rules of this particular race, then you have that available to hold your course steady during parts of the race as you perform sailhandling or other related chores. This would be most helpful during a headsail change, or reefing the main, for example.

Safety and staying on the boat are paramount, of course. So anything you do during this race would have to be planned more carefully and done more methodically. Don't expect the boat to perform as well overall as she might with a full crew; something has to give. There's no one to turn the boat around and come for you if you fall off, and ensuring you stay aboard will require more caution in your movements and decisions aboard.

If this sort of thing seems interesting, then enter with the goal of competing and completing the event. Don't focus on being the best or winning. Just doing it is a challenge that most would never try. Sure, it will probably be hard at times, and you'll be quite tired at the end of that 43-mile race. You'll learn a ton about your boat in the process too, and if you choose to do such a thing again you'll be that much better the next time.

If you don't feel ready for this yet, but would like to try it in the future, then spend more time on the boat alone in shorter bursts and get used to how to best manage the boat. Jumping in cold turkey might lead to issues, or might not, but if you're questioning the decision to go based on more than just butterflies in the stomach, then maybe it'd be best to work up to this goal and get a bit more singlehanded experience in this particular boat first.

If it were a 15-mile race, I'd say go for it more or less unequivocally. But 43 miles is pretty long if you and the boat are untested and don't feel necessarily prepared for what such a race might throw at you. I don't know enough about either factor to say what the right decision is, but you do.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Case wrote:Heavy helm does have benefits for singlehanding, at least for me.
Same here, and you could more or less "dial in" heavier weather helm on the J30, by putting the traveller up a bit further to windward?

Depends if you have cleats far enough aft to lash the tiller to windward, though, I guess.

I'd do it, forty miles has been a pretty normal day for me singlehanded cruising. Steering all day wears me down a bit by the end, but I find it helps if I have a cockpit bag with chart, binocs, drinks and snacks, etc., handy.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

While a heavy helm might help in some situations, my experience is that if you are using a tiller pilot, you want a balanced helm. Tiller pilots, especially with a responsive helm as you would have on your J30, aren't good for more than a minute or two unless they don't have to do much work. A balanced helm helps this. Lots of chop, however, will make all of this moot though.

I also agree that 43 miles isn't that big a deal unless you haven't done much single handing. Racing certainly adds another dimension, however, and I like Tim's suggestion to focus on completing the race-- getting a bullet is gravy.
David VanDenburgh
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Post by David VanDenburgh »

Tim wrote:If it were a 15-mile race, I'd say go for it more or less unequivocally. But 43 miles is pretty long if you and the boat are untested and don't feel necessarily prepared for what such a race might throw at you. I don't know enough about either factor to say what the right decision is, but you do.
I'm fascinated by the idea of a solo race - we've got the Chicago to Mackinac out here - but I agree with Tim. Forty-three miles can be surprisingly (and even painfully) far when either you or the boat aren't prepared.

We routinely do a 40nm hop along the Michigan coastline that continues to present challenges. Last season it was losing a batten while hoisting the main. The year before we split a seam on the jib during an all-night beat in 20 or so knots of wind. At another point we encountered steady 30-35 knot winds gusting into the 40s and significant seas. Each episode was taken more or less in stride with a crew of two and sometimes three on board. Had I been alone in those conditions, things certainly would have been much more stressful.

If you do race, I would, as Tim said, enter the race simply to finish and have a good time. But, I'd also be sure that the boat and I were adequately prepared for the trip. It's amazing how quickly an extended trip reveals all kinds of inadequacies aboard a boat, ranging from the annoying to the dangerous. I certainly wouldn't set off on a 43nm solo sail without a decent shakedown cruise to reveal weaknesses in both me and the boat.

Keep us posted as to what you finally decide. Something like that could be a lot of fun.

David
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

Great points - thanks.

Despite the breaks from last weekend, I think the boat is up for it. I have done a fairly comprehensive refit: major bottom work, all new running rigging, new electronics, refurbishment of the electrical system, lots of new hardware, upgraded (used) sails, etc.

We've also sailed extensively, I've done about 6 races a months since it came out of the yard plus extensive daysailing and some weekending. It's been out in some rough conditions as well; we've had the spinnaker up in steady +20 knot conditions and did just fine. I trust the boat.

However, after some consideration, I'm not sure I'm up for it this year. One reason is lack of competition (only five boats registered so far) and the other is I'm not sure I can be competitive given my experience with the boat. I need the figure out an effective way to cross-sheet and to tie off the tiller (there is an auto-pilot class but I don't think anyone has registered for it). As far as safety goes, I have a inflatable/harness and tether. I'll run the jacklines and clip on if the conditions or the task calls for some extra safety.

Case, I can't make any hardware modifications due to class rules. New Orleans has an active and growing J/30 OD fleet.

If I do go ahead and race, I can't guarantee I'll have a free hand for photos, but I'll definitely post an update.
J/30 Rambunctious
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

If I understand you, you're not concerned with your ability to SAIL the boat singlehanded, rather with your ability to RACE the boat singlehanded. Yes?
Go for it.
If it turns out to be a little more than you can handle in "race mode", hook up the autopilot, get on the radio and take a DNF. What else are you going to do? Sit at home and write out your Winter Worklist?

Part of the fun will be adapting your "race mode" mindset to accommodate your limited ability to maneuver. You'll reef sooner, tack less, pay different attention to weather. Strategy will trump tactics.

Does the boat heave-to well at all?
catamount
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

Figment wrote:What else are you going to do? Sit at home and write out your Winter Worklist?
Laugh Out Loud!

Hey Mike, I'm still working on last winter's worklist!

Jason, I'm with Mike. Go for it! What the heck?
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Re: 43 mile Singlehanded Race - Should I?

Post by MQMurphy »

#218 wrote:On that jibe, the shackle that holds the mainsheet block to the traveler car broke. I was able to grab the mainsheet and hold on to it while I turned the boat head to wind. Fortunately, I did not break the gooseneck. I tied the mainsheet to the two jib cleats and pulled the mainsail off.

When I went to start the motor, the water idiot light and buzzer went off; there was no water pumping through the motor. Without a sail or a motor, I threw the anchor out . . . I needed a 9mm socket. I was starting the round off the aluminum bolt heads with a crescent wrench.

I put everything back together and started the motor. To my relief (it had built a bit and was getting choppy and I get seasick down below in any kind of chop) the motor seemed to be working. I pulled up the anchor and headed straight to the marina, which was only a couple miles away. As I was heading up the bayou, the alarm sounded again, so I shut the motor off and coasted. When I got closer to the slip, I restarted the motor with no problems and put the boat away without difficulty.
I really love this sort of story! I really do. I singlehand most of the time - almost entirely in the harbor while I try to learn this sailing thing.
The best part for me is how you deal with the unexpected. I'm at the point where most of what you guys have been through is still unexpected for me, and I enjoy having to deal with it. I appreciate being able to participate in this forum - thanks to you all.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:If I understand you, you're not concerned with your ability to SAIL the boat singlehanded, rather with your ability to RACE the boat singlehanded.
This underscores what I was saying about entering to simply sail the race, not to worry about how you place.

If you want to gain the singlehanded experience, the only way is to go out and do it. You'll learn a lot from the experience--maybe it'll be a cinch, or maybe conditions will make things more difficult along the way. Either way, who cares if you're first or DFL?

Or maybe you do care. If you feel you need to win in order to make it worthwhile, then maybe you'd better not go. There has to be more of a reason behind it, I think, in order to bother.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

MQMurphy wrote: I'm at the point where most of what you guys have been through is still unexpected for me, and I enjoy having to deal with it.
When it gets to the point where you aren't expecting the unexpected, you can expect a visit from the "eff"-up fairy. IMO, the best part of singlehanding is how you deal with the unexpected!
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Post by MQMurphy »

Ceasar Choppy wrote:When it gets to the point where you aren't expecting the unexpected, you can expect a visit from the "eff"-up fairy. IMO, the best part of singlehanding is how you deal with the unexpected!
Wonderfully put, Mr. Choppy!
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

Most of my sailing is single-handed cruising and I agree with the previous comments that some form of controlling the boat is critical when you can't be at the helm. I use three methods: 1) Tiller lock box for my Forespar tiller extender - used for winching in headsail and quick trips from the helm to free a fouled sheet, etc. I do not go below when using this method. 2) Tiller pilot - used for going forward for reefing the main or other times when I have to leave the cockpit for more extended periods of time, e.g. getting food, jacket, etc. 3) Heaving to - this is my preferred technique in heavy weather for reefing and performing lengthy tasks (if I have the sea room) because the boat is more stable, and I do not trust the tiller pilot to keep the boat on a steady enough course to prevent accidental tacking. If I don't have the sea room, I use the tiller pilot and prepare for the worst (usually an "uncommanded" tack in which case I'm now hove-to anyway). Also, I find my Dutchman sail flaking system to be extremely helpful in controlling the main during reefing and other sail manouvers.

My previous boat had a fin keel and transom mounted rudder and was very squirrely when I let my hand off the helm for even brief moments. On that boat I considered the autopilot was near critical to make sailing enjoyable. In my study of other singlehanders with this boat configuration, I note they almost all rely on autopilots. I note that your club has an autopilot class and a non-autopilot class. How do the other non-autopilot skippers handle their boats?
Last edited by A30_John on Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

Part of the fun will be adapting your "race mode" mindset to accommodate your limited ability to maneuver. You'll reef sooner, tack less, pay different attention to weather. Strategy will trump tactics.
Right on. This holds true when cruising singlehanded too.
John
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

MQMurphy wrote:
Ceasar Choppy wrote:When it gets to the point where you aren't expecting the unexpected, you can expect a visit from the "eff"-up fairy. IMO, the best part of singlehanding is how you deal with the unexpected!
Wonderfully put, Mr. Choppy!
Between Murphy's Law and Effie the Fairy, it's no wonder going for a sail is always such an adventure.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

Well, I skipped the race and then regretted it. I did a buoy race instead and did well, but the longer race would have been fun. The weather was PERFECT.

I missed it because of non-sailing obligations encroaching on sailing time and because I just did not have time to rig a means of controlling the tiller.

The start of the race was almost 30 miles away and I just didn't have time to work it all in. I'm also not quite ready.

Next year I am absolutely going to do it, though.

Thanks for all the advice - sorry for the anti-climax.
J/30 Rambunctious
Ric in Richmond
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

can you use a autohelm in a single hand race???
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~