Cost of restoring classic plastic

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Cost of restoring classic plastic

Post by JonnyBoats »

Last week I had a chance to visit the Hinkley yard in Southwest Harbor, ME. Since they no longer make most of the new boats there, it has lots of maintaince work. One of the boats they had just finished working on was a Bermuda 40 yawl that has spent the last year there before its planed return to its owner in North Carolina. The boat looked better than new, but the rehab cost $500,000.

In the same yard was a Little Harbor built in Tiwan whose hull looked like a piece of XXXX by comparison. You could see all of the bulkheads from the outside of the hull, it was anything but fair.

I guess there is no substitue for quality. It will cost one way or another, be it dollars or sweat equity to do the job yourself.

Anyway if anyone has any doubts that a fiberglass sailboat built in the 1960s can be equal to or better than 99% of todays production boats, simply visit the Hinkley yard in Southwest Harbor.
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

No Doubt

Post by jollyboat »

Jonny B,
There is no doubt that a motivated individual or a skilled yard can bring out the qualities of design and luster in some of yesterdays yachts. There are many, including those of us who browse and make entry on the beloved Plastic Classic Forum who agree with you. In as far as "costs" are concerned, it would appear that the used boat market is awash in fantastic value. Rarely is the money spent on the rehab of a boat recooped in it's being sold. Being a two time Triton owner, there have been several recent occasions that I kicked myself for not being a little more patient in my search for my 2nd Triton after what I had gone through on the first to restore the boat to be safe, dependable and maintained. Though I am very happy with #466 and positive about the accomplishments that have been gained in the boats foward progression to becoming sound, I could have spent much more time enjoying my boats true abillities rather than working on it if I had just spent a lilttle bit more money up front. With that said, I am very pleased that there are so many old boat enthusists who are working hard and paying through the nose to keep so many "classics" up and sailing, and away from the teeth of chain saws.
Keep up the good work all. Ramble, Ramble
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Shoalcove
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Shoalcove »

I'm glad the B-40 came out nicely but really after spending $500,000 on a boat worth half of that amount I guess that it should. There is no doubt that Hinkley makes quality boats but if you have to pour that kind of money in to keep them "bristol", I guess it's not the boat for me! The thought of my kids and dog running amuck on a prime B-40 gives me the shivers. I'm sure that ole' Little Harbour would be adequate ; )
Best regards, David
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

When I worked at Hinckley in the early 90s, they'd still build a new B-40, even though it was technically out of production. (We laminated 2 B-40 hulls during the year I was there.) Even then, the cost to buy a new one, complete, was over $500,000.

Obviously, all cost is relative. I can't imagine spending that kind of money on anything, but if I had the money and wanted a B-40, I'd pay whatever it took--obviously just what this fellow did. Few things are more beautiful than a perfectly rebuilt Bermuda 40, particularly when you compare it to the current offerings. I am sure that this particular job ended up with the boat being entirely reconfigured, re-systemed, and every other possible thing--not just part of a maintenance program to keep her shiny.

Whether it's worthwhile or not depends on whether you can afford it. Given the limited supply of Bermuda 40s, and their enduring good looks and desirability, I'd bet that owner could sell her now and not take a bath. That's the market for high-end, pristine boats; it doesn't necessarily translate to what normal people like us can comprehend.

Prices on high-end, premium boats seem shocking till one realizes how much actually goes into making a boat of such premium quality and detail. I'm sure Hinckley did very well, profit-wise, but no more so than any business has a right to in order to stay in business.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I've thought about this issue alot as I suffer through some of the messier parts of of my projects. I've 'restored' a couple Studebakers. I've 'rebuilt' a couple player pianos. I've rebuilt/restored a couple houses. I've rebuilt a Morgan 27, currently restoring a '50s Flying Dutchman, and of course, working on our North East 38.

I've concluded that it's about as much trouble and cost to restore a Ford Siesta as it would be to restore a Jaguar XKE; the problem is that, when you've finished the Siesta, you've got a Siesta, but when you've finished the Jaguar...