My Third and Last Boat

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

My Third and Last Boat

Post by triton318 »

A couple of weeks ago, on a whim, I went to the Boat Trader website and did a search for sailboats using the following criteria: 1960-1980, 30'-36', $0-25,000. I found a couple of interesting boats--a couple of Vanguards, a few Alberg 35s, and an Alberg 37. I perused the photographs for several of the listings, including an Alberg 35 located in Florida and listed at $4,000. (It was definitely a fixer-upper!)

Why was I looking? The other day I was on my Triton--sitting down below, looking around--and I thought, "A larger boat would be nice."
But, because I plan to take off in four years to do some extensive cruising, and because I don't have much money (and never will), I knew that the only way to get a boat that would take me where I wanted to go would be to find something old (like an Alberg 35 or something similar) and fix it up. Like I did with my Triton.

As I looked at the photographs of the Alberg 35--of the deck (badly in need of paint and probably a re-core) and of the interior (dark, lacking adequate storage space, cluttered, dirty, and looking very similar in layout to a Triton)--I started to think about my boat.

I thought about all of the work--("blood, sweat, and tears" is NOT poetic license)--that went into restoring her; all of the hours spent cutting and sanding and grinding and painting and cussing and screaming in frustration. I realized that I didn't think I had it in me to do that all over again. And, as I thought about the Triton, I knew I had a boat that could easily take me to all of the places I've dreamed of visiting. I also realized that I really liked my boat, a little small though it is.

I closed the website and knew for sure, really for the first time, that my Triton was the last boat I would ever own.

Unless it sinks, I'm unable to salvage her, and I'm not done yet with my cruise!
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

Not to mention that the cost of doing the identical work list on something like an A-35 would be roughly double what it cost on your Triton. It's an irrefutable fact that boat construction and rebuilding costs by the pound; in other words, the cost of materials and labor required as boats get larger escalates by the same general percentage as the displacement increase.

Enjoy that Triton!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I think the owner of the Valiant 40 down the dock is about thiiiiiis close to offering me an even-swap.
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by keelbolts »

I think you have arrived at a good place. Now, all the effort you might put into looking at, researching, and dreaming about "your next boat" can go into refining and sailing the perfectly good one you already have.
Celerity - 1970 Morgan 30

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges in it?
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Figment wrote:I think the owner of the Valiant 40 down the dock is about thiiiiiis close to offering me an even-swap.
Yes, but clearly as part of the deal you'd have to bring the Triton into the slip for him every time he went out, no?
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Re: My Third and Last Boat

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

triton318 wrote: Unless it sinks, I'm unable to salvage her, and I'm not done yet with my cruise!
Never say never... you never know when your wife/significant other will want a bigger boat. Don't ask me how I know this...

But I can back up what Tim says about the extra expense of the bigger boat... A "boat buck" for my Renegade was about $100. With the "new P-39, it is around $300.
suntreader
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by suntreader »

I can't tell you how many times I get down with a half day grinding session and think, "If this boat was five feet longer, this project wouldn't be possible for me alone." Its a sobering thought since I stumbled into the 32 footer and would have taken something bigger.

Someone once said the absolute best boat to go cruising in is the one you already own.

Dave
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat

Second Time is Harder than the first

Post by jollyboat »

I agree about the Triton - I knew the day that I sold 346 that it wouldn't be long before I started looking for another Triton. I have been lucky to look at and sail a lot of different boats, but for what I am doing and looking for in a boat - the Triton fits the bill very well. I will say, however that putting 466 back to rights has had its challenges. Though having run across all the same 'Triton problems' 466 has been a long process.
Maybe now that I am twice as old or that I have a hundred times the amount of responsibility has something to do with it- either way the thought of adding to the size of the project makes me think that it might be out of my willingness to get involved. Yeah - I am pretty darn happy with the Triton.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter