Tales from the boat show

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Tales from the boat show

Post by Figment »

Like many boats at the newport show, the Hylas 66 was privately owned, on loan to the Hylas dealer for display. The dealer puts the owner up at a nice house in newport, covers all expenses, etc. The owner volunteered to mind the boat for a bit so that the sales staff could grab a bite to eat mid-day. All is normal... mostly "lookie-loo" people wandering around the boat in awe, dreaming of someday.
... then this rather large woman manages her way down the companionway. She reaches into the head, casually takes the handheld shower off the wall, casually looks at it, and opens the valve. Water sprays all over herself AND THE NAV STATION!!! Can you believe it? but wait... I jump up and kill the switch for the waterpump and grab some towels to try to contain the mess and wipe down the electronics. I wasn't really mad, I just figured she was a person who didn't know better. I didn't notice that she had made her way into the master stateroom. By the time I looked up she had LAY DOWN ON MY BED, DRIPPING WET!!!
I don't care HOW hot you are (it really wasn't that warm of a day), that takes some gall!
Mark W

Hylas 66

Post by Mark W »

Oh my gawd .....

Nic looking boat though, there was a line of people through the cockpit and onto the ppop deck when we were there, so we passed on that, I did take a peek at the Hylas 49 though, very-y-y-y-y nice .... I love the way you can wal in a circle : cabin - galley - master stateroom - head.

Very well laid out boat with gorgeous interior finish work.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I had fetched lunch for some exhibitors who couldn't leave their displays, so I knew without tasting that the food over in the "food court" tent was absolute crap. I went in search of other.

Midafternoon, while meandering from one chunk of the show to another, I happened upon the "Hot Dog and Chowder Annex" (shack with a take-out window) of the Black Pearl restaurant. Score!
Now THIS was some good chowda. Not that crap from a Sam's Club can that was being served back at the show's tent.

Walking around, looking for a nice spot to sit and enjoy, I remembered spotting some adirondack chairs out at the end of the pier, behind the dockmaster's shack..... YES!!!

Good chowda, good chair, FANTASTIC elevated view of the harbor, all just a little bit hidden away from the masses of the show. Dare I say, a perfect lunch.