Bruce King Yacht Design

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Bruce King Yacht Design

Post by Tim »

If you appreciate classic beauty and attention to detail, you'll appreciate this site. If you're not already aware of Bruce King designs...well, consider this an overdue introduction.

I love his designs. When the beautiful and unique designs are coupled with the fine craftsmanship and traditional finishes of a quality builder, the results are nothing short of stunning.

In this glitzy world of modernesque and Spartan-look megayachts, which seem to be so "stylish" these days, it is nice to see that some folks still value the ageless classic look of brightwork, sheerlines, and real sailing rigs.

Bruce King Yacht Design

Tim
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Absolutely.

My father was the lead auditor on the Antonisa project (http://www.hodgdonyachts.com/antonisa.html), so I was lucky enough to see her up close a couple of times. Wow. Simply defies words. Plus the Hodgdon yard's construction level is unparalleled, imo. Fantastic.

Sidenote: The launch party was "something else" too. They converted the boat house to a banquet hall... two 60-foot long buffet tables literally groaning with food, and just open to the public. Open bar, too. Yup, open bar for something like 5000 people. Just imagine the dollars!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Antonisa and her owner are obviously class acts. The boat oozes old-world sailing class and style. And Hodgston is second to none for cold-molded construction.

I'd like to think that she's the sort of boat I'd commission if I had billions of dollars. Sadly, my takeover of the world plans are going much slower than anticipated, so it may be some time before I obtain the necessary funds.

When you can spend the kind of money required for a boat like this, factoring in the launch party budget just becomes one more line item, I think! But I can imagine that this one must have been nice. Bet it was way nicer than whoever bought the last Wally megasailboat (boats that are so highly styled that they'll be totally passe in 2 years...yuck).

If you don't know what I'm talking about, click here. Wally Yachts

I'm jealous...I attended one or two launch parties at Hinckley when I was there, and they were nice enough, but surely nothing in comparison!

Tim
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Oh, I expect to see lots of that Wally styling on the Daysailor Project!

Yes, the Antonisa launch party was quite something. It was nice being there with an "insider" though: we were among the select few who got to attack the buffet before it was opened to the clamoring hordes!

I'm thinking that I may well have to attend the launching of Scheherezade too.

There is some info on Scheherezade at Hodgdon Yachts, under the "current project" section.
Also, more pictures here.
Tim

Post by Tim »

dasein666 wrote:
I'm thinking that I may well have to attend the launching of Scheherezade too.
Takemetakemetake me????? hehe

Yet another gorgeous collaboration between Bruce King and Hodgton Yachts.

Though I think I like Antonisa better.

Tim