Boatwork laundry

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Boatwork laundry

Post by Figment »

I usually change into and out of my boatworking clothes before and after, but the other day I wore them home. I think I only had one foot in the door when I heard "oh, no. no WAY are those clothes getting anywhere near MY laundry machines, buddy!".
My pleas of "but it's only boat dust, not engine grease or anything like that" fell on deaf ears.

The garment in question is a pair of carhartt overalls which began the winter dark brown but now have so much embedded dust that they're a fine khaki tone. The problem is that the dust and fiber particles have sucessfully infiltrated the denim, and it's getting more than a little itchy in here.

What's a guy to do?
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Laundromat. Just don't use the same machine twice!

Or.... when the owner of the washing machines isn't around... hmmm... yeah, like I said, laundromat.

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

You could take over household laundry duty and then have ultimate rights and the final say as to what you throw in the washer.

Personally, I wash and dry everything, from work clothes to solvent rags, in our machines with no ill effects. I don't know what the big deal is, frankly. The machines are made to wash stuff, including dirty, grimy, nasty stuff. I do separate out the fiberglass stuff from the other clothes in separate loads.

I may be anal about some things, but washing machines ain't one of them. For the dryer, it's important to do serious lint cleanings-out every so often, though--getting in much deeper than the little lint trap, as the dirt and gunk will build up and a lot of it gets past the lint trap.

How Home-Ec of us. We truly cover all bases here on this forum.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Should we discuss the pros and cons of fabric softener, too? hehe.

I also think a washer is made for washing, so who cares? When you have an infant and a dog, the stuff from working on the boat is NOT the nastiest thing to go in there!
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

We, of course, know that washing machines are made for washing dirty work clothes.

I think Mike's problem is in convincing his other half that boat clothes are just ordinary dirty work clothes. I still think he has a better chance with the laundromat.

I also feel that fabric softener is over-rated and never use the stuff. I prefer unscented detergent too.

-Britton
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

I agree on the softener. And the detergent. We buy the Purex stuff. No nothin' extra added.

I think Mike should just print out this thread and give it to the S.O. Preferrably with a bottle of wine, a dozen roses, and maybe even a box of chocolates.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I'd sneak them through sometime, myself, if I were faced with that situation. And cover my tracks.

Either that or fluff and fold--well worth whatever it costs. No more will I spend any time in a laundrymat; there are few more depressing places, except maybe an urban bus station at 2 am.
Figment

Post by Figment »

Perhaps I should explain something about my beloved...
Julia loves the scent of fresh laundry the way some women love $200 perfume. It's her favorite thing in the world.
When we bought/renovated this house, the laundry room/closet was Priority One, no joke. I think we spent $2300 on the machines themselves, to say nothing of the new connections, moving a wall, and painting the room to coordinate.

I touch these machines at my peril.

(You move at your peril, for I have two pistols here. I know one of them isn't loaded any more, but the other one is, so that's one of you dead for sure...or just about for sure anyway. It certainly wouldn't be worth your while risking it because I'm a very good shot. I practise every day...well, not absolutely every day, but most days in the week.......)

She's afraid that the fiberglass particles won't wash completely out of the machine and that subsequent loads will come out itchy. Or that the particles will damage some seals in the machine or something. I dunno I kinda stopped listening halfway through.

Laundromat. I didn't have time to babysit my laundry when I was in college, and I surely don't now.

On the way home it occurred to me that the carhartts should just take a dunk in the mop bucket. (we have one of those cool industrial jobs. 5 gallons, big wringer, casters, etc) My car needs a wash anyway, so two birds with one stone.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Fair enough! Sneaking the clothes through is not an option!

If someone tried to explain to me the logical reasons why working on boats for fun was idiotic, or why it was dumb to buy some expensive piece of gear, I wouldn't care to listen to the clear explanation of logic either. So someone feeling this way about the laundry and washing machines is well entitled to that indulgence. We all have our things. Given the analogy, I can understand her position.

How about an el-cheapo setup in the basement or something? Work clothes still need to be washed.

I think I understand why you wrote of the importance of an in-shop shower and such in the "dream boat barn" thread earlier!
Figment

Post by Figment »

Well, that would assume that one HAS a basement.
Really, I've been thinking for years that we should have a pair of laundry machines here at work for grubby clothes. And a shower. The next time a plumber owes us a favor...
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by JonnyBoats »

Tim, how do you do it? I wish I could find a wife like yours.

How did the conversation go, something like this? "Honey, this is a relationship where we both get what we want. We will respect each other?s wants and needs, so... You get to have whatever washer and dryer you want, and can wash all the clothes however and whenever you want. I for my part get a special boat shed, can buy whatever derelict boat I want whenever I want and can spend whatever time I want working on boats."
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
Tim

Post by Tim »

John,

It works about like that with one exception: I'm the laundry dude around here. This is a small sacrifice to make in order to enjoy the broad freedoms I do with my boatwork.

Realize also that I was very much already the way I am now when I met my wife, so she had to buy into the existing package...caveat emptor!

Also, I should ensure that the boat barn credit goes where it is deserved: to Heidi. She encouraged it, and she told me I should make it bigger than I did. I should have listened. Next time...
Figment wrote:Well, that would assume that one HAS a basement.
Oh, those pesky details! hehe
Noah
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Noah »

Get your hands wet boy! Just wear them right into the shower one day. Turn it up good and hot, and wait a few minutes. I bet you can get them pretty clean that way. First I might shop-vac yourself off though.

Or just dive through a few snowbanks. Better yet, find a buddy with a snowmobile and have him tow you through a field or two while wearing them. Make sure there is plenty of brush to give you a good scrubbing while you are at it. Heck, it even sounds like a new sport to me.

Good luck,

Noah
I want a shop!