Pictures

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Pictures

Post by bcooke »

Pictures, Nathan, pictures...
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Hey man, we just put white on today... and I just got home.

Sheeesh!

hehe
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Ok guys... here's a sneak preview:

Kind of less than exciting pictures, really. But the white looks exceptional in person. Tim did a great job spraying.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote:Pictures, Nathan, pictures...
I think some people need to do less vicarious boatwork! hehe

Britton, the end of June isn't far off. Get movin! :<)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

dasein668 wrote: Kind of less than exciting pictures, really. But the white looks exceptional in person. Tim did a great job spraying.
I think it looks exceptional in the pictures, really. Most impressive.

At the end of all of this you really ought to do a photo session of the newly-finished product, complete with bikini-clad beer commercial models to adorn the decks and demonstrate their fairness.

sigh. If only you hadn't blown your bikini-model budget on sandpaper! ;)
tartan30cirrus
Topside Painter

Post by tartan30cirrus »

Nice work guys!

You sure looked wiped yesterday afternoon. Great that it was so sunny and warm afterwards for you.

Cheers,
Clint
Clinton B. Chase
Tartan 30 #388 Cirrus
Portland, Maine
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Thanks guys. I think both Tim (remember, he did all the spraying) and I are both very pleased with the results. It's not perfect, but then, what is? Generally speaking it came out exceptionally well. Definitely a 95 to 98 percent job, which is pretty excellent. Hope the hull comes out as nicely.

We'll soon know!
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Figment wrote:complete with bikini-clad beer commercial models to adorn the decks and demonstrate their fairness.
I'll see what we can do. Maybe I can talk my wife into it... hehe
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by heartofgold »

Nathan,

Looks truly excellent! When are you scheduled to do the hull?
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

heartofgold wrote:When are you scheduled to do the hull?
Tomorrow.

(Friday, April 8)
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Wow!

Post by Rachel »

I just have to say "Wow!" That looks absolutely fabulous! Even makes the blue tape look good :-)

--- Rachel
Tim

Post by Tim »

...and I just have to say, "PHEW!" Thank heaven the job is done.

I know I also speak for Nathan when I say that this is a major load off.
V-Class
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by V-Class »

That looks stunning!!

any plans for a new anti-fouling colour (color for those who can't spell:P) and boot-top??

Well done!!
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Bottom likely stays as is (thought the new Vivid paints by Pettit open up some possibilities). Boot is silver. All the paint should be done by next week. (Boot, bottom, non-skid).
Last edited by dasein668 on Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heartofgold

Post by heartofgold »

Ooooooh!

Aaaaaah!
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
Figment

Post by Figment »

That last photo is great. I love the warped reflection of the shrouded daysailor behind. 1,001 words.
A30_John
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by A30_John »

Verrrry nice... the darker color has transformed the boat. Excellent choice!
John
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Awesome ... that's all I can say.

BTW, what type/kind of paint did you use on topsides and hull?

Looking at the topsides photos shows how little overspray there is onto the masking tape. That's a nice feature of the HVLP guns.

Those two-level saw horses for the staging are neat. Mind if I borrow that idea?

Excellent work Nathan and Tim !
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Tim

Post by Tim »

Peter wrote:Those two-level saw horses for the staging are neat. Mind if I borrow that idea?
Sure. Just send $99.95 to me for the plans. (just kidding...)

Not that you need instruction, but here's a description of how I built them: Staging Horses

The staging horses work very well. They might be a bit bulkier than ideal, making moving them about a little awkward in a tight shop, but they are stable and work well. The two heights are customized to these boats, or any boat of similar draft. They are a permanent fixture; I like to do as much work as possible from staging.
Peter wrote:BTW, what type/kind of paint did you use on topsides and hull?
We're using Alexseal Yacht Coatings, a new product here. It's a linear polyurethane similar to Awlgrip, but designed to improve upon Awlgrip with the benefit of the 30 or so years since Awlgrip was introduced. It's also similar to Imron.

Nothing else looks like quality LPU when applied. And that gloss will stick around for a decade or more.

I'm posting some brief comments about each of the products in the line on the Daysailor website as I use them. Comments on the topcoats will be added by Sunday's update.

Alexseal Comments

Nathan's away this weekend, but if you're all nice, I might post a picture or two of his boat with the tape and plastic removed...
Tim

Post by Tim »

HVLP Overspray

HVLP guns may produce less overspray than compressed air, but they still produce overspray, mostly in the form of a highly atomized mist that permeates the air.

When using a very light product like the Alexseal LPU (or Awlgrip), the atomization is intense, and very much highlights the need for significantly efficient supplied air respiration.

I thought it would be interesting for all to see a picture I took about 10 minutes after completing the final coat of topcoat. I had just disassembled the gun to soak for cleaning, and was on my way out. The amount of mist in the air is clear (in a manner of speaking, that is) in this photo, though of course the flash makes it look worse than it really is.

Nathan's photos of the completed boat were taken probably 45 minutes or an hour after spraying was complete.
Tim

Post by Tim »

It might be of interest to see how much of that green paint was required for this job. I applied three coats to the entire hull. For spray, the Alexseal is mixed in a 1:1 ratio with its converter, and then reduced 25-35% with the appropriate reducer. For my turbine-powered HVLP gun, I find that somewhat higher amounts of reducer are required for the best leveling.

In total, over two separate batches, I mixed 36 oz. of topcoat base, 36 oz. of converter, and approximately 28 oz. of reducer. That's about 100 oz. of total liquid product required to paint this hull. I ended up with about 8-10 oz. of wasted, unused product when all was said and done.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Nathan's away this weekend, but if you're all nice, I might post a picture or two of his boat with the tape and plastic removed...
We promise to be very very nice...
I think some people need to do less vicarious boatwork! hehe

Britton, the end of June isn't far off. Get movin! :<)
Any cosmetic work on my boat this spring is strictly confined to my imagination. It is nice to confirm that the pictures in my head really could become a reality. I wish Nathan hadn't chosen dark green though. That was going to be my color. I do appreciate the fact that he is keeping about two years ahead of my project so everything is well tested before I copy it! Can I reserve a spot in the Lackey boat barn for a paint job over the winter of 2006/2007? It should coincide well with the Seawind.

:-)

I am still on track for a late spring launch though at the moment I am waiting on several parts orders. Of course my boat will have a decidely strong echo in its empty interior but it will float again. Advice to fellow boat restorers... Do not, I repeat, DO NOT add up the cost of materials before the project is finished. All those bits and pieces add up to a staggering amount of money. I have officially begun to pay for boat expenses out of my food account. Rice and beans anyone?

Nice work guys.

-Britton
Shark
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Pictures

Post by Shark »

Tim & Nathan,

Dasein looks amazing! Congratulations. Can't wait to see her in the water!

Lyman
Peter

Post by Peter »

Thanks for the info, Tim. With a smooth concrete floor one could put casters (with locking stops) to roll those horses around. Wouldn't work too well on my polytarp-covered gravel floor though.

I noticed some short vertical stripes of hull color just below the waterline. I'll hazard a guess that these are marks to show which area has been sprayed. When I gave my hull the first coat, red over white primer, it was easy to lay on, but on the second and third coats it was really easy to get lost and either miss an area or spray it twice. My right arm was just about falling off by the time the boat was finished!

The other thing I discovered is that you can't have too much lighting! Next time: a bank of flourescents along both walls.

Dasein looks super ... good work, guys.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Tim

Post by Tim »

Peter wrote:I noticed some short vertical stripes of hull color just below the waterline. I'll hazard a guess that these are marks to show which area has been sprayed. When I gave my hull the first coat, red over white primer, it was easy to lay on, but on the second and third coats it was really easy to get lost and either miss an area or spray it twice. My right arm was just about falling off by the time the boat was finished!
Boy, is that the truth! Yes, the little vertical stripes are exactly as you suspect. On the first and second coats, I had no problem; the first coat was over the gray primer, and very light; the second coat was easy to discern from that light first coat.

But the third coat was extremely difficult. I think the dark green was easier than white, as the reflections were such that by keeping my eyes a bit below the gun (looking up at it), I could just see where I'd been. Spraying the third coat was about the most stressful thing I've ever done. Fortunately, it came out OK.

More lighting is essential going forward. Flourescents along both sides would be the way to go. The natural light in the shop worked in my favor on the starboard side (with the light behind me), but was a real pain on the port side, as it was in my eyes.

Gee, it sure would be nice to have a dedicated paint bay...downdraft, waterproof, no windows, and 48,000 light bulbs.

Peter, did you have luck buffing out the runs that you mentioned before?
Tim

Post by Tim »

I promised some pictures once I had removed the tape and plastic. Here are a few, just a taste. It's hard to get a sense of it when photograhic angles inside the shop are so limited.

Figment

Post by Figment »

Nathan, I know you're still doing nonskid and all of that, but Tim's photos have inspired a question that I can't believe I haven't asked before now...

What's the plan for the transom lettering? Gold leaf? White vinyl? something inbetween?
Peter

Post by Peter »

Wow ... she looks GREAT !!
Tim: On thr runs in my paint job: The little ones I shaved down with a flat razor blade while the paint was still a bit soft .. not all the way, but most of it.
Then I let it harden up for a few week. I had a large 'sag' that needed attention too. I wet-sanded the sag and the runs with 1000 grit wet/dry wrapped on a small flat wood block, went over it 2000 wet/dry, then buffed it with the polisher.

The sag is still a bit visible, as I was worried about taking too much paint off. I think I'm the only one who sees it. Buffing took care of a couple of 'orange peel' spots and the shaved runs.

Like anything else I've ever done, I'd like to do it again ... this time just a bit differently. But it's time to get out on the water and go sailing. I think I'm about two weeks away.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Steve480

Post by Steve480 »

Tim and Nathan,
What a transformation. Absolutely beautiful! I think of the prep work and what it has led to. What an inspiring piece of work.
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:Nathan's photos of the completed boat were taken probably 45 minutes or an hour after spraying was complete.
And without a flash. The first shot I took, with flash, didn't look much better than the one Tim posted. The overspray definitely is NOT insignificant.
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Figment wrote:What's the plan for the transom lettering? Gold leaf? White vinyl? something inbetween?
To match the silver Awlgrip boot, I'll be going with silver vinyl with white border for the name, just white vinyl for the hailing port. Font will be as before, but a bit bolder to allow for the white border:

I've always felt that gold and green don't go that well together. A personal thing. But after seeing just how dark this green really is, I think it would be fine.

That said, the silver also is in keeping with the grey nonskid/silver canvas that we have/are going with.
Figment

Post by Figment »

I'd wait until the color could be seen in actual direct sunlight before making judgements about how dark the green really is.
This color reminds me of the old chevette I drove/wore in college. Somebody whacked it, so I had some insurance money to spend, and was free to repaint it any color I wanted. I chose a really really dark green.
At night, or on overcast days even, the car looked black.
In direct sunlight, the green came DAZZLING through.
That was a really metallic paint, though, so you probably won't have the jekyll and hyde thing as much.

Silver! that sounds fantastic. Can't wait to see it.

What's the grey thing above the "N" in that photo? mooring permit?
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Opened the can of silver Awlgrip today.... looks like the evil Terminator in T2. Mmmmmmm.

Yes, the green is definitely green in the sun (we had the front doors open), and definitely could pass for black otherwise. Just what I wanted.
Figment wrote:What's the grey thing above the "N" in that photo? mooring permit?
Its a state of Florida Hull Identification sticker. Apparently Hull 668 wasn't enough?they needed an 80-digit ID number....