French built Tritons

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

French built Tritons

Post by bcooke »

I was doing a little snooping around concerning French built Tritons and came across this photo.

Now this is a forward port!

Anyone have some information to share concerning these boats?

If you speak French there is a whole review of the boats beginning at
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/deber/page51.htm. Even if you don't read French there are several pages of pictures that are worth a look.

I was using an online translator but it kept choking on the nautical words.

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

It's amazing how "French" those boats look. European boats tend to be so different-looking.

I don't think I'd like that big port when beating into a seaway, though!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I don't think I'd like that big port when beating into a seaway, though!
No, perhaps not, but what a great view! I bet it leaks though.

-Britton
avninal
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Viya
Boat Type: Jouet Triton

Re: French built Tritons

Post by avninal »

Hi all,
Meet the beauty. Photos were taken last year before the restoration works started. Obviously the previous owner also didn't like the idea of having a big port beating into a seaway, so he glassed it. The contour lines are still visible from inside the front cabin.

avninal
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by avninal »

Well, I said beauty, but there's also a saying that goes like a crow sees his/her chick as a phoenix.
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

Welcome, avninal,

It looks like a fun project. Those French-built boats really do look different (sort of a cross between a West Coast Triton, with the fiberglass molded coaming boards, and a Peugeot). I'm curious about the lack of sheet winches on your coamings. Is that just temporary, or are those winches mounted on the cabin meant to sheet in the jib?
avninal
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by avninal »

Hulukupu wrote:Welcome, avninal,

It looks like a fun project. Those French-built boats really do look different (sort of a cross between a West Coast Triton, with the fiberglass molded coaming boards, and a Peugeot). I'm curious about the lack of sheet winches on your coamings. Is that just temporary, or are those winches mounted on the cabin meant to sheet in the jib?
Thank you very much Hulukupu, it sure is and has been a very fun project on a very neglected boat. The more I delve into it the more I wonder who with a sane mind would undertake this kind of a task.
At the time of the purchase there was a newly but stuck engine, a roller furling, a depth sounder, a speed & distance log and a pair of Goiot winches that you mentioned.
And your your question is spot on. After half a year of occasional but vigourous cleaning, and another half a year of trying to make her seaworthy again, last month we've made sea trials for the engine twice and once for the jib with the existant winches for the first time. Obviously the jib lines got jammed.
Now I can't decide whether to mount new winches on the coamings or try to solve this by adding blocks to either side of the deck near the relevant stanchion bases (approximately aligning with a point that falls between the portlights) thus bringing the jib lines down to the deck from outside the shrouds and up again to the existing winches. And maybe glueing a piece of protective stainless steel pad with a L shaped cross section for the points where the lines will make contact with the cabin top next to the winches as well.
http://marinestore.co.uk/YWTYPEB.html
http://marinestore.co.uk/PBPS-1910.html
Your ideas are very much appreciated and thanking you in advance.