Triton Trailering

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
sscoll
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Medora Jane
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #532 E.C.

Triton Trailering

Post by sscoll »

I think Tim mentioned loading a Triton so that the space between the salon windows was just forward of the trailer balance point. In my case this would be close to directly above the front axle of my tandem.

This is what I'm planning unless someone has a more specific suggestion or corroboration.

I'm hoping for input.

Thanks

Steve Scoll
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Triton Trailering

Post by Tim »

The idea is that most trailers and trailering rigs want to have slightly more weight forward than aft, so that the tongue weight doesn't get too light (you don't want too much forward either, of course). But it's usually better to have a little too much tongue weight rather than not enough, as too little tongue weight can wreak havoc with the handling of the tow vehicle and make the trailer squirrely.

I don't recall exactly what I said in the past, but the space between the two deadlights is aft of the boat's center of balance. What you're suggesting sounds like it'll put the boat too far aft, though, if I'm understanding correctly. The center of balance of the boat is somewhere within the ballast area, which is at the forward part of the keel (and beneath/forward of the forward deadlight), so I'd suggest that this location will be a better frame of reference for determining how to balance your trailer, depending on all the variables that exist with your specific trailer. The goal is to ensure proper weighting of the trailer tongue, and this may take some experimentation the first time you try your setup.

I recently posted links to photos of three different Triton/trailer setups in this thread, which you might want to have a look at.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
sscoll
Master Varnisher

Post by sscoll »

Thanks Tim. If the majority of the weight is forward of the mid point between the deadlights then I should be tongue heavy by putting it above the front axle. I hauled the boat home once several years ago and it was indeed squirrely. I've since beefed up the truck suspension so I'll move the boat forward and try again.

The Triton sales brochure line drawing is useful here as well. Thanks again.

Steve
Triton 185
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Post by Triton 185 »

Hi Steve,

My Triton #185 sits so the centre of the two deadlights is about 2" forward of the centre line between the wheels. This gives me 1,000 lbs on my ball as measured with a scale.
"The more you know, the less you need."
Yvon Chouinard
sscoll
Master Varnisher

Post by sscoll »

Thanks Yvon and Tim,
I went a little overboard with the tongue weight but it certainly followed me home without getting squirrely. Next year I'll try it a little further back. I think its probably a foot ahead of the center line.
Steve Scoll #532
Skipper Dan
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Jade

Post by Skipper Dan »

I just bought a Triton actually #99. I have to trailer it home from RI to WI. I have a Skid steer hauler 14,000#. It is 13.5' long bed wise. 8' from center of dual wheels to front. 5.5' to back. It does have a beefy 7' tongue. I have seen Steve's cradle that would fit right on it. This is a rather low trailer and I would like to keep the load low as instructed (Above). Does anyone have any measurements from the centerline point or the center of the two dead lights to the rear of the boat. Also from the center to where one could put a cross angle iron just in front of the keel. I have been looking for line drawing of the boat but cannot find any that I can read these measurements.

Thanks Dan
sscoll
Master Varnisher

Post by sscoll »

Dan,
My cradle is here in WI and you can use it if you like. I'll need it back before fall, but its here in the yard.

Steve
Skipper Dan
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Jade

Post by Skipper Dan »

I made it home with my new Triton. I learned a lot about loading sailboats on this trip as well as how to build a really nice trailer. I am glad that I borrowed Bob's trailer rather than finish mine for the trip. Although I hope I do not have to trailer mine much (I'd rather sail it). I am going to build it so that it can load and unload the boat easily. I can get it on and off Bob's trailer in a half an hour using a skid steer loader. I can get it on and off in 2 hours without using anything other than blocks (not quite as nice but it works). Because I have torsion axles on my trailer it will be much easier to load using blocks. RI to WI left Sat afternoon arrived Monday afternoon.

Dan
Attachments
#99 is home.
#99 is home.
Kiwiwandering
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Kinohi
Boat Type: Triton 28 Hull# 533

Post by Kiwiwandering »

I’ve read all the posts in this forum but haven’t seen in the links to Trailer pad position measurements. I was wondering if anybody had a trailer they could measure for me and let me know where the pads were on their trailer. I’m not sure how to add a picture of my trailer. Thanks for any help on this.
Neil
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom

Post by atomvoyager »

Here are two sketches of my trailer that I use for Tritons, Alberg 30s, cape Dory 27 and various other boats. The first sketch is for the Alberg 30. The Triton is similar although the screw pads will meet the hull a couple inches lower. You'll need to set some lumber under the keel in two spots so that there is about 1.5" clearance between keel bottom and trailer where the travel lift straps need to go in and out. You can have them ready and set in place once the boat is in the lift above trailer. Note that some Tritons had what is referred to as a false keel in the aft two feet or so of the base of the keel and placing a strap or blocks there could damage it so make the travel lift operator aware of that. Also, ensure the boat sits slightly bow up by pouring a bucket of water on deck so that it drains aft. You should use a tongue weight gauge to ensure proper tongue weight of about 1,000 lbs but if not available you should be close by placing the bottom of the keel/rudder joint at 29.5" aft the center of the aft axle. If the trailer fishtails when towing you have too little tongue weight - slow down, pull over and shift some weight forward inside v-berth or bow or lashed to trailer tongue.

To post an image, once you typed your message click below it on Attachments - Add files - Select file from where it is stored on your PC using pop up box - if you want to add a second image, click Add files again -click Submit. Make sure you don't exceed the file size. I usually resize images to 800 x 600.
Attachments
Sail Trailer Sketch 2 2021 small.jpg
Sail Trailer Sketch 1 2021 small.jpg
Kiwiwandering

Post by Kiwiwandering »

Wow. These will help with my trailer setup for my Triton. I was totally lost on where to set the pads up. It’s hard to do with the boat in the water and the trailer miles away from the boat.
Neil
Kiwiwandering

Post by Kiwiwandering »

James, What is the width of the trailer frame? Six feet?
Neil
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

The outside of frame not including fenders is 74.75" so just over 6'. I think they are all built to similar max width.
Kiwiwandering

Post by Kiwiwandering »

Based on your sketches and other info you have provided here, not much modification is needed on my recently purchased trailer. A great resource as always.
Neil
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

I hope later you will share with us any updates and info on your Triton projects.
Kiwiwandering

Post by Kiwiwandering »

Will do. It’s going to be an interesting journey (pun intended).
Last edited by Kiwiwandering on Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil
Kiwiwandering

Post by Kiwiwandering »

What is the length of the tie down straps you used?
Neil
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

Four ratchet straps at least 15' long would work. I mostly use these heavy duty 2" straps. They are too long but you can cut off the excess if you want or you might get by using two full length.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotiv ... 60689.html
Kiwiwandering

Post by Kiwiwandering »

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I did look it up once I discovered the links in previous posts. Still getting used to this forum stuff.
Neil
Kiwiwandering

Finally Home with my Triton

Post by Kiwiwandering »

I promised James I would try to add pictures of the trailering of my Triton. I bought the trailer on Ebay. It had no screw adjusters for the pads. So I bought some scaffolding adjusters from Home Depot with ends and modified them to work as the trailer boat stand adjusters. They worked out really well. Thanks to James I had some measurements to go on to change some of the pad support angles. the Front ones were left alone. I also cut 2.5 feet off the end of the trailer, welded the end piece back on, painted and reinstalled the lights.

I had to make two trips. One taking the trailer up to the Marina and another back down with the boat loaded on the trailer. The Marina had lift strap problems so the first trip was a bust as far as bringing the boat home. They did let me leave the trailer in there storage lot for free. The marina loaded the boat without me so it cost a bit more than if I had been there. They also loaded bow down instead of level. But, it towed well so no issues going down the road. I rented the trucks you see from Enterprise Commercial Trucks. That's why there are two different pickups, one white one and one black one. I highly recommend this method if you have no need of a big pickup on a regular basis.

Now Kinohi, pearson Triton #533 is in my yard waiting for some attention. The fun begins!!
Attachments
Pad with no real adjustment.jpeg
Pad with screw adjusters.jpeg
All the new screw adjusters on. .jpeg
Side view of trailer after adding screw adjusters for pads.jpeg
Screw adjusters I used..jpeg
On the way to pick up the boat.jpeg
Mast down and secured. .jpeg
On the trailer going home. Notice how bow down it is. Boatyards!.jpeg
Another view heading home.jpeg
At home in my yard. Tight squeeze!.jpeg
Neil
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

Thanks for the update and info on scaffolding bases and truck rental. I hope your neighbor likes boats.