T bar on mast

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
JohnD
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: undecided
Boat Type: Pearson Triton EC #234

T bar on mast

Post by JohnD »

Sorry, but i have no idea what the real name for this is. I'm pretty new to all of this and trying to figure it out. I'm also not sure if this is Triton specific, but I figured it would be a good place to start.

There is a T bar attached to my mast that the boom can slide up and down. It was super beat up and bent way out of shape so I decided to replace it. When I took it off it ended up breaking into three separate pieces and I broke off one of the screws, so there is no way I can reuse it. I went to every nearby marina to buy a new one but all anyone can order (let alone has in stock) is 1" wide. The piece I removed is 7/8". I've put a picture in at the end of the post to help you see what I'm talking about.

My question is if anyone knows a good source to get a replacement. I was hoping to have it for the weekend so we could go sailing, but that doesn't seem like it is going to happen right now. I suppose I could put 1" on instead, but then I would have to replace the piece that fits over it as well. No idea what that is called either.

Thanks in advance for any help.

earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: T bar on mast

Post by earlylight »

John,

What you refer to as a T-bar is actually sail track and the piece that slides on it is the goose neck fitting. You should be able to get replacement track from any good chandler. Try Google and search for sail track. Good luck.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

John,
Maybe "captphil416" will weigh in on this topic. He had the sail track for the goose neck pull out from his mast during his trans-Atlantic crossing on board his Triton and repaired it with a jury rig until he got to port where he did a final repair. Are you out there Phil?

Just a heads up,.... Rig-Rite has a great variety of spar related parts etc. but they can be painfully slow in delivery as well as responding to e-mail etc. It took a friend of mine a bit over 5 months to get his new spreaders despite numerous phone calls and e-mails.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
captphil416
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Deep Blue
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by captphil416 »

John; My post concerning the at sea repair is posted under the Sails and Rigging thread. The repair I made at sea is still in use. Here are a few options you might want to pursue.
1. Go to a consignment shop and see if you can find a piece of 7/8 track.
2. Obtain a piece of 7/8 x 1/8 flat stock of 316 or 304 stainless steel. Drill and countersink the appropriate holes. and attatch same over a 1/8 spacer. Micarta if you can find it.
3. Buy a piece of 1" track as advised above, but take it to a machine shop and have the goose neck fitted. Expensive but much better than filing. Whatever you do I recomend 1/4-20 flathead machine screws, one for every hole available. Perhaps someone else has a better idea.
Best Luck Phil
JohnD
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by JohnD »

Thanks for all the advice and help everyone. I found a consignment shop in Annapolis that had some 7/8" track. It doesn't look the same, but I think it will work. And for $2 it is worth a shot. I'll let you know how it works out.
JohnD
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by JohnD »

Well I got the new piece of track installed today. Of course the holes in the new piece didn't line up with the old so I had to drill and tap new ones. Now that I have it on I can't seem to remember what used to hold the boom in place and now it just slides freely off the bottom. Any suggestions?

Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

In your original pic it looks like someone "peened" (beat on) the sides of the track until the car wouldn't pass anymore.

Replace that bottom flathead screw with a pan-head screw plus a washer.
JohnD
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by JohnD »

Thanks Figment, I will give that a shot.