This just posted on the CSBB by Lin Pardey- anyone?

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

This just posted on the CSBB by Lin Pardey- anyone?

Post by CharlieJ »

"We receive a lot of interesting questions via our webpages. Usually one of us knows either the answer, or can direct folks to a book or person who can help them. But this one has us stumped. A young couple who planned to head off cruising as soon as their newborn was "seaworthy" wrote that their plans faced a small snag as the baby was born with downs sydrome. They feel cruising could give them the close time with their child to provide the special training that will enable this baby to lead a full life. The folks in question asked if we could put them in touch with anyone who has cruised with a special needs child on board. We will forward on any info forum readers may have. Thanks in advance, Lin"

The web address is-

http://www.landlpardey.com
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by windrose »

My nephew is down's syndrome and hates water, sand, anything textured or unusual to him. It is very common for them to have what they call tactile dysfunction. Anything out of the ordinary is simply sensory overload for them and they freak out. The beach terrified the little guy to death. It has taken him 4 years to learn that he doesn't have to freak out in the shower. My nephew, John, is mosiac which means he is higher functioning than most down's syndrome kids. Everyday life is a huge challenge for him, I can't imagine if his envionment changed everyday. Repetition is truly the key for down's syndrome.... the same thing over and over and over. He also does not have, or can't remember, the inherit safety fears of able kids so he is not afraid of things he should be afraid of.... like traffic, fire, etc. I can't imagine cruising with a down's child, but I am sure if there is a will there is a way.