Mojito Moves to the Bayou

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Mojito Moves to the Bayou

Post by Jason K »

In late June I moved to the north side of Lake Pontchartrain to Mandeville, LA. Mandeville is one of four towns that make up what is generally referred to around here as the Northshore. While it is a rapidly growing community, it retains a lot of the charm New Orleans is lacking.

Since June, while I've been enjoying the relaxed Northshore lifestyle, my boat has been languishing in the New Orleans Yacht Harbor. Yesterday, I fixed that problem by skipping work in favor of a (longer than anticipated) day sail. I found a slip along Bayou Castine this past weekend, which is a rare occurrence without a waiting list, and jumped on the opportunity. The marina is about three minutes from my house.

When I saw the forecast was calling for 10 - 15 knots and unseasonably cool temperatures, I decided to bring the boat across. We got up early on Wednesday for the sail (which is about 25 miles as the crow flies, but significantly longer when beating upwind). Somehow, it took us until 0900 to get on the water. When we left the marina, it was blowing a solid 15 and the boat pitched wildly in the very choppy water until we got the sails up. We had a great sail until noon, when the wind went to nothing. The photo below shows the flat calm, the waves are just the residual swells. It was like sailing into an oil slick.

After cooking in the sun for an hour making an average 0.6 knots VMG, we fired up the motor. That's drastic action on my boat as the engine is... tempermental. We motored for a couple of hours at only 3.5 kts. I hope the barnacle colony on my prop is still dizzy.

With 5 miles to go, the wind picked up to maybe 5 knots from the west so we sailed in slowly but comfortably on the flat water.

Bayou Castine, which has a number of small marinas along its bank, is absolutely gorgeous and quintessential Louisiana. The Bayou twists quite a bit as it winds its way inland and is lined with Cypress trees, ancient live oaks dangling moss, dense swamp, and an abundance of wildlife. As we entered the Bayou, we were greeted by a good size alligator and snapped the photo at the top of this post.

I am thrilled to have the boat here. It is only minutes from our new house and my slip sits right by land so I can pull the car literally right up to the boat. It also has power, something I've gone without since August of last year. This means that I will be able to get to many small projects, and some large ones, that are definitely overdue. It will also mean spending more time on my own boat, which has proved difficult after moving relatively far away from her.

Here are a few shots from the trip:

Adios to New Orleans' Harbor

Dead calm

Motoring into the Bayou entrance

Photos of the Bayou

- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The bayou looks beautiful, though you probably won't be going swimming anytime soon!

Congrats on your boat move. Sounds like a very positive thing.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Congrats on the move (and the new avatar)!

I too have marinas 3 minutes from my house, and yeah it KILLS me to have the boat a half hour away, so I too am moving the boat next year. Life is really too short.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Thanks guys.

Mike, I am permanently spoiled already. It is great to be at the boat in an instant. I definitely encourage you to move the boat, pronto.

It is also incredible how close I can get the car. I've been off-loading everything in order to paint the interior and it makes it so much easier. The bow of the boat and the trunk of the car are maybe 10 ft. apart. I just unload through the V-berth hatch and toss the most cumbersome items - cushions and sailbags - to the grass by the car.

It will also be real easy to set up a mini-shop next to the boat with saw horses to cut and fit the beadboard veneer for the bulkeads - that should really cut down on project time.

There's only been one downside to the marina so far - I fell through the dock! So the fairytale boat habitat has some demons. I was coiling the hose and my leg went straight through. I informed the harbormaster and he told me where I could find some replacement boards! So that's why there isn't a waiting list...
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

#218 wrote:I informed the harbormaster and he told me where I could find some replacement boards!.
Harbormasters are the same the world around, I guess.

::rollseyes::
Curmudgeon
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Curmudgeon »

#215 wrote:So that's why there isn't a waiting list...
Whoa Nelly! Could it be that big-bad-boy in your new avatar that keeps the client list pared down? "Splish-splash"...... "Why yes, we JUST had a spot open up!" My boat was at Dog River Marina in Mobile when I bought it, and was warned not to go in after anything dropped overboard.

Hypothermia may get us up here in Canada but at least we don't have to dodge those "floating logs" you have in LA.