Batteries

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Mark.Wilme
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Batteries

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Tim,

I note that when rebuilding Glissando you went with 2 x T105's, presumably wired in series rather than an 8D unit. I wonder how 4 years on you feel about that decision ?

I looked at a boat at the weekend that had an 8D for the starting battery and 2 x group 24's for the house load. Not my area of course but it seems to me that an 8D is a big battery to start a 42HP Westerbeke (see pic)

Also on the site it looks like you have gone with conventional wet cells versus AGM or gell types, was there any other factor in this other than cost / longevity ?

M
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I can't imagine why someone wired up an 8D for the engine battery on that boat, with wimpy 24s for the house. I wonder if perhaps it really should be the other way, and someone didn't hook it up right? I've seen stranger things happen in boatyards.

You certainly don't need or want an 8D to start that diesel. In fact, it's completely the wrong choice, since the requirements of starting batteries and house banks are completely opposite.

I like the Trojan T105s (6-volt golf car). They are inexpensive, easier to handle than the very awkward and heavy 8D, and, wired in series for 12 volts, provide the same amp hours as an 8D (around 220). I would use them again without question. If I needed more reserve than 220 Ah, then I would install additional banks as needed.

The T105s are quality batteries with heavy plates and a reputation for long life in a deep cycle application. I have found them to be an excellent choice. In 2001, they cost around $65 apiece.

There's nothing wrong with wet cells. Maintenance is a matter of keeping the water topped up; certainly using a multi-stage regulator helps, versus a built-in basic regulator that doesn't necessarily charge batteries as efficiently as it could. I might have added 1" of water total in 5 years. Concerns about spilled electrolyte (or the lack thereof with gel cells) are pretty moot given the way most of us sail our boats.

I chose the T105s partly for the cost vs. life/performance issue (by all accounts, they excel here, and my experience has confirmed this), partly for the weight/size issue (8Ds are always hard to handle, and HEAVY), and partly based on reputation alone. When it comes time to outfit my next boat, I'll do some due diligence, but I fully expect to install one or more banks of T105s.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

The photo above is from a boat I looked at this last weekend, it's a 39ft, 2001 modern euro boat so I was saving you from the questions, story and process (yes it has a large bubble in the compass too ) as it's not yet a classic plastic.

I couldn't believe it either, I traced the wires and the 8D is defintely the engine battery and is dead as the proverbial dodo.

So I am faced with the question(s)

If I make an offer and it's accepted I need to figure out what to do about sea trials - do I expect the owner (who is broke) to get the engine started, do I expect the broker to take care of it or do I haul a Gp 24 or Gp 27 down there and take care of it myself ?

What's the chance that I can revive it, should I try, should I have a proffessional battery shop work on it or just top up the water and slowly charge it ?

Long term I think it needs a Marine Group 27 Starting battery there and a different arrangement for the house bank - maybe all 6v Trojans ?

Mark

Actually as I think about it I did post info on the boat here http://triton381.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=, I'll post an update there on progress.
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

I stand corrected - the 8d is the house bank.

I am thinking 4 x T105's in the same space as the current 8D (450Ah at 12v) will work well.