MIGHT be looking for crew to bring my new boat home

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Mark.Wilme
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

MIGHT be looking for crew to bring my new boat home

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Separate thread addresses us considering making an offer on a 2001 Beneteau 381 currently in Hingham, MA. If we proceed and are succesful then one of the options I have is to bring her back to Portsmouth RI by sea for the winter.

My timeline is to make an offer this week, go to survey next week and then prep the boat between then and end of the month.

As I look at the trip it is 48NM from Hingham, MA to the East end of the Cape Cod Canal. It is possible that an early start and good progress could get us there for a favorable current through the canal on Saturday October 28th (Sunrise is 7:08am, High tide at the East end of the canal is 4:08pm with sunset at 5:43pm) looking to stop overnight at the head of Buzzards bay. Failing that it's a stop overnight in Sandwich marina and a very early morning transit of the canal on Sunday 29th (Sunrise 6:09am after the clocks go back, High tide at the East end of the canal is 3:57am leading to the next low tide being 9:54am) day 2 would be 54NM with sunset at 4:42pm.

Note - I still need to check Eldridges ( down on my current boat ) for exact timings of slack water and favorable current in the canal.

Anyway, I may be short on crew for the trip, not sure yet, have a few interested parties but most have family commitments also and we all know how this is.

Let me know if anyone is interested for one or both days and if we proceed down this route I will be in touch.

Mark