Last Fall Haulout with my Bluenose

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Last Fall Haulout with my Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

Well I pushed the sailing season as far as I dared. A series of expected Northwest gales chased me to the lift dock today. As usual I packed the Bluenose up on her trailer but this time her new owner drove away with her.

He is a good friend and it turns out he will moor her just a few moorings away. Still it was hard to see that old boat drive away. She was the perfect boat to help me remember my rusty 20 year old sailing skills.

I have sailed her in all sorts of weather and enjoyed every minute.

So now It is just Bolero which is probably best. I don't think sailboats like mistresses.
Last edited by Bluenose on Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

She does look like a joy to sail, and those are some nice photos - especially the one in which you're silhouetted with the sun on the water. I love stripey jibs, and the fractional rig looks great.

Is that a mitten clip I see in photo #6? Boy, that takes me back. Not a bad idea, either. I remember when they seemed so modern and with-it compared to the "old-fashioned" mitten *strings.

* For southerners: Each mitten was sewn onto one end of a ~4' long "string" of yarn, which you'd then feed up one sleeve of your coat, across the inside of the back, and then down the other sleeve, so that your mittens - when flung off - would sit right at your cuffs, ready to be donned again.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Nice photos. I'm sure it's sad to see her go, but you've got a nice "new" boat coming so that should ease the pain a bit!
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

Is that a mitten clip I see in photo #6? Boy, that takes me back. Not a bad idea, either. I remember when they seemed so modern and with-it compared to the "old-fashioned" mitten *strings.

* For southerners: Each mitten was sewn onto one end of a ~4' long "string" of yarn, which you'd then feed up one sleeve of your coat, across the inside of the back, and then down the other sleeve, so that your mittens - when flung off - would sit right at your cuffs, ready to be donned again.
Rachel,I am afraid not. I actually needed your explanation to know what you were talking about. Sounds like a great idea though. Those are my neoprene diving cloves which have two rather long pieces of Velcro that are always sticking to each other or various parts of my foul weather gear.

In the Pacific Northwest sometimes you have to trade comfort for wind. All in all a fair trade.
Nice photos. I'm sure it's sad to see her go, but you've got a nice "new" boat coming so that should ease the pain a bit!
A bit of Vicodin would ease the pain, the "new" boat will likely afflict me with a strong case of previous boat amnesia.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Oh. Well, nevermind my whole mitten-clip/mitten-string nostalgia moment, then. Maybe I should go back and snip it out, but then, there's nothing wrong with being weird, is there? No, I didn't think so.
suntreader
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by suntreader »

I've got to admit I've never heard of a mitten string either, sounds like a good idea though. I don't mean to rub it in (since the other half of the year down here it is too hot to be outside) but the nice weather season is just getting started in Florida! I've gotten as much boat work done in the last week as I had in the previous month.

Dave
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Rachel is referring to "Back in the old days" when mom made a new pair of mittens, she would make one mitten, measure from wrist to wrist across your back with the tail of yarn, give you an extra 10-12 inches and make the other mitten. Then she would run one mitten up your coat sleeve and down the other. So when you took your mittens off, one was connected to the other through your coat so you didn't loose them. There are times I wish I still had those mittens. The updated version is two clips with 4" straps. You clip your glove to the end of your sleeves so that when you need them they are never far away. In one of the photos, your glove appears to be hanging from your sleeve. I thought the same thing. That your gloves were clipped to your sleeve.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Well at least it wasn't just me.
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Rachel wrote:Well at least it wasn't just me.
Common in New England. Most of us tried to block it out though.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

LONG after home-knit mittens faded from vogue, those of us who played hockey (or had siblings who did) had a leftover wicked-long skate lace tied to the silly little D-rings on our mittens.
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

I am so glad that I hauled when I did. There just wouldn't be much sleeping the next few days.
PZZ133-121130-
/O.CON.KSEW.GL.W.0054.000000T0000Z-071113T0000Z/
NORTHERN INLAND WATERS INCLUDING THE SAN JUAN ISLANDS-
858 PM PST SUN NOV 11 2007

...GALE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH MONDAY AFTERNOON...

TONIGHT...S WIND 30 TO 40 KT RISING TO 35 TO 45 KT LATE. WIND WAVES 6 TO 8 FT. CHANCE OF RAIN LATE IN THE EVENING...THEN RAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT.

MON...SE WIND 35 TO 45 KT...BECOMING SW LATE. WIND WAVES 6 TO 8 FT. RAIN.

MON NIGHT...W WIND 30 TO 40 KT...EASING TO 15 TO 25 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES 5 TO 7 FT. SHOWERS LIKELY.
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

I hear that! That's why I usually try to haul by around the first of October here in Maine. I miss out on some incredible days on the water, but in between we get enough snotty stuff like that that it isn't worth the risk. Especially in Falmouth with about a 3 mile fetch to the southwest and northeast...