Vanguard around the world.

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Vanguard around the world.

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I enjoyed a talk w/video by Dan Meggitt last Friday. He's a very bright, engaging, but a not very good, speaker. This fellow sailed a 1964 Vanguard around the world, solo, 1999-2003, taking three years to do it. He started in NJ without sailing knowlege, went down the ICW to Florida, out to the Bahamas, arund the Carribbean, and to Italy before he decided that was the wrong direction. He came back to the Carribbean and continued on around on the usual route: Panama, Galapagos, Marquesas, Tuomotos, Tahiti, Bali, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Darwin, Christmas, Keeling Cocos, Mauritius, the coast of South Africa, St Helena, Recife, the Carribbean, and back to NJ. He had a Monitor windvane operating non-original wheel steering.

The boat is now for sale in Philadelphia, in well-used (terrible) condition. He's moved on to climbing mountains, which is what you'll see when you Google him.
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by jollyboat »

It may not be the same boat but I m pretty sure I saw this Vangard for sale on e-bay and yes it was in pretty ruff shape - what surprised me was how much was being asked for the boat. The boat should be given away to the next caretaker.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter