KAHOLEE

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

KAHOLEE

Post by Allen »

First morning at sea... A long time in the making, but well worth the wait.

Rockland Maine 3 June 2008

More to come... ;)
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

MikeD
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

You lucky dog! Cheers and bon voyage - we'll be watching your SPOT page... ;)
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Ancient Race
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by Ancient Race »

Wonderful, Allen; good to see you on the water. And it's really been great of you to share your dream with us vicariously.

But are you having the green chile brought out by launch?

Greg
Tartan 27 #77
Seafarer Meridian 26
Jet 14 #952
Triton 185
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Post by Triton 185 »

Congratulations Allen and great picture! I bet it was well worth the wait.
jhenson

Post by jhenson »

Allen,

That's a great photo!

Congratulations!

Joe
Allen

Post by Allen »

It's kind of a gray day today so I'm down below checking out the operation of the heater and monitoring the battery charge. NOAA says 77 on Monday, can't wait! :D There was a little red lobster boat named Hot Stuff dropping pots along the edge of the channel this morning. Took a picture but forgot I had taken the memory stick out of the camera last night. To bad it was a real "Maine" kind of picture. ;) Maybe he'll be back tomorrow, although I may be gone by the time he arrives.

Tomorrow I need to go ashore :( so I can go visit Tim. :) He is delivering Nathan's Triton and we still have the boom and sails to rig so project phase isn't quite finished yet. It's funny, power boat guys go all over with only an engine, but I don't feel exactly safe if I don't have sails aboard. ;) In reality, the Beta Marine engine runs wonderfully so it is only an idiosyncrasy on my part. Still...

I'm planning on going home to visit The Spouse (AKA Dorothy) on the 20th so KAHOLEE will come out on the 18th before heading to the Chesapeake Bay sometime mid-July, where the cruising will begin in earnest. This will give us time to finish the few remaining things to do and deal with a few items we discovered while she was afloat. Every time I think about actually beginning the cruise I want to jump up and down, but as my buddy Pat says, "Cool your jets!". It's like being a kid on Christmas morning, or should I say like launch day in Rockland all over again. :D

WRT the green chili, if you can find Hatch brand chili (yellow can) in the stores it is real New Mexico chili from Hatch NM. The bummer is you can't get them whole. There is nothing better on a hamburger then a whole green chili. :D

Life's a beach, unless you have a boat. ;)
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by jollyboat »

Nice Allen - Very exciting stuff - Looking forward to a picture or twenty of the sails.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Ronin120
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Ronin120 »

Allen,

Kaholee has turned wonderfully! Given that I am using the details of the rebuild of Kaholee as my current bible for rebuilding tips (currently for repainting the deck and non-skid) if you get to our area of the Chesapeake, stop by our dock and I'll stand you to a beer. Or two.

Actually, given the value I'm getting information-wise out of the rebuild of your boat, I think I need to stand Tim to a beer also!

Sail safe.
Dave
1982 C&C 37 - under reconstruction
1988 Mako 26 CC - don't laugh, it needs work too.
1970's vintage Snipe
1970 Islander 37 - sold
1968 Cal 25 - sold but still racing...

Wave Man
Allen

Post by Allen »

Brian, the boom and halyards are on and I just purchased sheets and other control lines today so hopefully Tuesday we will be able to ship the main. As soon as we do pictures will be online.

Dave, Tim and I are launching at Haver de Grace and I hope to be able to have Tim aboard for a week. How far away are you? An on the water meeting would be a great thing. :) Unfortunately the exact date is dependent on Tim's schedule and we are not able to exactly predict the launch date at this time, but estimate sometime mid July.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Allen

Post by Allen »

Saturday morning (7JUN08), taken from anchor in Rockland. Not a bad way to start the day.

Sunrise...

Schooner, around 0800...

Can't wait to get the telephoto lens.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position