GREYHAWK's racing results

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

GREYHAWK's racing results

Post by catamount »

Boothbay Harbor Yacht Club Regatta, 2nd of 10 boats in the Cruising Canvas Division.

Southport Yacht Club's Seguin Island Trophy Race Series, 1st of 5 boats in the Cruising Canvas Division (including beating a J110 that owed us 30 seconds per mile boat-for-boat both days)

Portland Yacht Club's Monhegan Race, 3rd of 9 boats in the Manana Division (spinnaker this time; and a much more competitive fleet)

Learned a lot each time out and had a lot of fun doing it (except for sailing into a wind hole at 3AM in the fog during the Manana race....)

Now back to cruising....

Tim A.
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Good stuff, Tim!

I think I need to do some cruising canvas racing sometime.
Kites are fun and all, but man they really ought to hire a massage therapist for the after-party to get the trimmers' necks back in order.
catamount

Post by catamount »

Figment wrote: I think I need to do some cruising canvas racing sometime.
Jib and Main can still be very competitive, if you've got the right mix of boats.
Kites are fun and all, but man they really ought to hire a massage therapist for the after-party to get the trimmers' necks back in order.
For the Monhegan Race, the PYC actually did have a massage therapist on hand, but at the pre-race party....
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by jollyboat »

Figment - I think you should try an asymmetrical spinnaker - would you like to give mine a shot? I am pretty sure it will fit on your boat.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Noah
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Noah »

Yep, my Asym spinnaker is 165 square meters (1776 sq ft) and after a long trimming session just about everything is burning. It's still the only way to roll - I hate going slow downwind.

We took a 3rd in last nights Beer can racing in the A2 class. We would had second or first, but a senile dolt in a J92 fouled us for 2 minutes downwind while on Port. He was totally dumbfounded that I kept calling starboard...
I want a shop!
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by jollyboat »

WHOAAHH!!! Noah - Good grief - 165 sq. meters. What on earth are you sailing on. That is a huge spinnaker. I respecfully submit my offer to become your sailmaker.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Noah

Post by Noah »

We use that sail on my Swede 55. Lately we have been using a snuffer on it - makes it a bit easier to get it down in one piece with a green crew.

If you would like to be my sailmaker I will need a sample of your work. Perhaps you could whip up a racing main for me. Say 50' luff, 17' 6" foot, max PHRF roach, 2 reef points, full battens, and an Antal track system.

In Carbon.

Only after I sample your work will I be able to proceed. I could use the sail before the 13th if possible...:)

Just kidding, though I really could use that main. Or a nice #1 Genoa. Or a chicken kite for 25 plus.
I want a shop!
catamount

Post by catamount »

So I did some more racing in September:

Northport Yacht Club's Around Isleboro Race, finished 4th out of 25 boats overall.

Rockland Yacht Club's Maine Rocks Shorthanded Race (112 nm) finished 7th of 9 boats overall.

With all this racing, the deliveries up and down the coast and to and from Marblehead, a couple of cruises, and a lot of daysailing, I figure we put about 1000 miles on the boat this summer. I know I made 14 round trips in the van between Keene and Boothbay Harbor (or beyond)!

We made a 15th trip last night to Portland for the Gulf of Maine Ocean Racing Association's awards banquet, where GREYHAWK won the Family Spirit Award, since our crew generally included some combination of my wife and myself as well as my 10-year-old son and my 75-year-old father-in-law.

Now to get to work on the 2008-2009 winter worklist...
Noah

Post by Noah »

Nice job with your first year of racing - it takes a long time to build crew and figure out how to make your boat go fast in all conditions.

This is us getting a second on corrected in A Class on the last race of the season. We were pretty happy as we were double handed for the race. We couldn't catch the Melges 24, but that's the boat I raced on for many years.

I want a shop!