Charlie, Laura and Tehani dealing with Ike

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Charlie, Laura and Tehani dealing with Ike

Post by CharlieJ »

First, thanks to those of you who pm'd me and pm'd Rachel ABOUT us. Your thoughts were deeply appreciated.

When the storm was still threatening to centerpunch us here in Port Lavaca, we boarded up the house, shop and studio, took Tehani out into a small bay off Matagorda Bay, stripped her down of everything that could create windage and anchored her on 4 anchors with chain and as much rode as I had. All four anchors had a minimum of 200 feet out, in a beginning depth of 7 feet BEFORE the storm surge. We had, all in all, about a 5 foot increase

I am happy to say we came through without a scratch. No damage to house or boat. Of course we here we extremely fortunate in that the storm turned and just grazed us. We had winds gusting only to the 50s here and that for only a few hours.

Not so fortunate were those on further eastward. The devastation there is awful. I must admit to some feeling of shame at being happy we were spared, while friends weren't. Luck of the draw I suppose. At least all those who we know personally in that area have boats still. One in the Baytown area has his PSC 25 sitting up on the ground, 50 feet from the water, still tied to it's dock. It's wounded, but will live again.

Could have been MUCH worse.

Again, thanks to all for your concern.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Glad to hear that report Charlie. I wish everyone could make the same one.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.