9 days in September

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

9 days in September

Post by s/v Groovy »

We had a great 9 days of sunshine on the water in the San Juan Islands this year...
great sailing..
great sunsets...
Orcas...
Sailed with the SV Adventuress...
really enjoyed the shiny hull, buff color decks, and anchoring with the new anchor / roller...
had a bit of fog...
Oracle trimaran Defender III coming out of the fog...
good times...

Thanks again to everyone for all the advice and motivation to complete the projects this year. Sure is satisfying to fix her up, and take her out....
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
Triton 185
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Post by Triton 185 »

Hi Greg,

Thanks for posting the pictures. I couldn't see them very well - till I clicked on them and they nicely enlarged! I now have your boat as my background on my computer.

The west coast sure is an amazing place to spend time on the water.
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Boat looks fabulous!!!!

I can't imagine cruising near Orca. We are giddy when we are near bottlenose dolphin!!!

Is that propane tank holder as simple as it looks? Some PVC tubing?
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
forrest
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Ophelia
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Post by forrest »

That is one pristine renegade.

September was a good choice! We went out the last week of August and had a small craft advisory every day and rain every other day. August is usually such a sure thing around here...

We still had a good time though, we had the old renegade going 9 knots reaching across Bellingham Channel (with a couple knots of current behind us). Felt like we were flying!
David

Post by David »

The absolute best is Desolation Sound. We spent three weeks there a few summers ago. Almost completely to ourselves: fjords, waterfalls, mountain views, great anchorages; but little wind.
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Post by s/v Groovy »

Seeing the Orcas:
As we rounded the west side of San Juan Island outside False Bay we saw Orcas. We dropped sails a few hundred yards away and about a quarter mile off the shoreline. We were alone with them for about an hour, until some commercial whale watching boats came in too. The group we were watching headed north meeting other members of their pod and then turned back towards us, as we were floating, they came quite close. That is a picture of J26 " Mike" an adolescent male, and J42 his 1 year old sibling, sex unknown. About an hour later, 2 Dalls Porpoises came about 10 feet off our port side, and almost every day we saw Harbor Porpoises too. My wife is a part time whale watch naturalist, and she sees things I'd never notice.

The propane holder came from:
http://www.sailorssolutions.com/index.a ... Item=LPG01
I thought about building one, but after all they say it is "Marine-Grade Polymer" and for $60 I figured it would take me longer than it was worth to DIY.

We definitely got lucky with the weather, and aside from the fog, it was consistently amazing.

I do want to get up to Desolation sound, and someday circumnavigate Vancouver Island, and then.....
However, for now, a week at a time is all I got.

Thanks for the compliments, she is getting better every year, but always more work to do...
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
David

Post by David »

You and the whales must have been close to Ken Balcomb's whale research center. Those are "his" pods that come up Haro straits everyday.