One last sail.

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

One last sail.

Post by Tom Young »

I took advantage of last weekends gale to go across the bay to Perrys Creek for better protection than our south facing harbor would give.

Waiting for the gale to arrive, I took a row up the creek that cuts deeply into Vinalhaven Island at dead low water.

If the current in the creek ever stopped, it was only for a moment. The dinghy drifted on the few inches of water under the keel surrounded by the thick carpet of mussels that cover the entire basin.

This time of year, it's very, very quiet there.

But the gale did arrive after sunset. By midnight, winds seemed to come over the high walls of pines that protect the narrow creek, turn into it, and barrel right down the middle. This had the boat spinning and gyrating a bit but the protection was good on the flat water. It was a good night to simply cook dinner, open a bottle of wine, and enjoy a book sitting by the fire.

The next day, I headed out under power into the Fox Island Thoroughfare bound for home. Half way out, I realized, it was too soon. Winds were still in the 35 knot range and on the nose. Plus, once into the full fetch, the bow was going under a bit. I swung the wheel and headed back into the protection of the cut between the Fox Islands.

It was a good move. A couple hours later, winds had subsided. Soon, the boat and I were free of the island and cracked off westward across the bay on the last of the gales winds and had a fine sail home. Nearing the coast, the sun began to break over the green hills.

That's it for me this year.

preserved_killick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Seagrass
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Post by preserved_killick »

Beautiful.
1965 Alberg 30 #116
http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie
cantstopnow
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Ariadne