Where can you sail a bristol 24 (reasonably sanely)

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
ghostwriter247
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: The Celtic Cross
Boat Type: 67 bristol 27

Where can you sail a bristol 24 (reasonably sanely)

Post by ghostwriter247 »

What exactly is a bristol 24 sailing wise? i assume it is a coastal cruiser given its build. kinda like a scaled down bluewater design, with ltos a ballast and full keel, but my point is could it stand up to a trip from the keys to the tortugas by way of the marguesas? Or is even a 20 mile offshore trip too much? Is it a wet ride or dry? I hear it only heels 10 to 12 degrees. The reason im asking is I am down in the keys and wondering with the ocean right there what are its limits? Should i be looking at something else? im a beginner and it seems so much better than the hunters and catalinas that are so popular.

Thanks
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by triton318 »

A Bristol 24 is quite capable of taking you from the Keys to the Dry Tortugas and the Marquesas. I'd rather go in that than in a Hunter or Catalina.
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA
David

Post by David »

The B24 is a very stiff boat and very seakindly as well. Given that your rig is in good shape (replace those old spreader sockets!) you can sail her far enough out to probably scare yourself. Fort Jefferson would be an easy sail (if there is wind). She would be fine in Hawk Channel when the wind and seas pipe up. Certainly with her draft she would be great in the Bahamas or gunkholing in Florida Bay and then there is the whole west coast of Florida. It's more a matter of stores, water and time that would limit you rather than the boat.
ghostwriter247
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: The Celtic Cross
Boat Type: 67 bristol 27

Post by ghostwriter247 »

Thanks guys! thats what i was hoping to hear I went sailing today on florida bay in one of the new hobie mirage trimarans, what a hoot! Its not a big boat, but it was a lot of fun