Tape for sail track

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Tape for sail track

Post by barrybrown »

I'm adding some 7/8" external stainless sail track to my mast, does anyone have any suggestions as to what is the best tape to use to isolate the track from the mast? Thanks
Barry
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Re: Tape for sail track

Post by One Way David »

Don't know where the knowlegeable guys and sals are. Why couldn't you just paint the back side of it? The part that will mate the mast? You're trying to insulate the galvanic reaction, right? Or am I off base?
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Without overthinking it, I'd probably use electrical tape.
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Post by barrybrown »

Thanks for the suggestions, I set the track yesterday using 1/2" waterproof adhesive tape, the kind you get at the drugstore. Of what was available it seemed to have the qualities best suited for the job.
It may indeed be over thinking but most things added to the mast will be there for the life of the mast and exposed to the elements therefore I make a serious effort to isolate any dissimilar metals. There are over 100 machine screws holding this track set with red loctite so changing the tape would not be easy.
Barry
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Post by Richincident »

WOW! that sounds like a LOT of machine screws. That should definitely hold that sucker in place!
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
Sailordave
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Sailordave »

Okay I know this is an old thread... but how about some UHMW tape like this... 5 mil x 3/4" Seems like this would be perfect.

In case anyone else has the same question.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Film-T ... es-_-3ZPV8
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Obviously the initial person is done, but since the thread came back up, I would also use something like Tef Gel on each of the fasteners (to help isolate them).