Sail slugs

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Sail slugs

Post by Figment »

The slugs for my mainsail are this nylon and steel kind, I'm guessing 5/16" diameter...

After a recent "episode" in which the topmost slug fell to pieces, I replaced it with what I had in my box.... the all-plastic type, and much smaller, probably 3/8".

I'm thinking that the lateral loads on the topmost slug are pretty minimal and that the smaller slug will serve just fine, but I'm half-expecting to hear declarations to the contrary.

I imagine that the remainder of the slugs are not long for this world either, so I'm wondering if I should bother with the expense of these nylon/steel jobbies, or if the plastic sort will do for replacement.

Aside from cost, I have an additional complaint regarding the steel, as the steel sometimes binds against the aluminum groove in the mast.

Fishing for opinions..... anyone biting?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

You must have a different sort of track, as your slides are nothing like mine. From the photos, it appears you have an internal track or slot?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Yep, internal slot. No track at all.

My mast is not the original Triton section. Replaced by previous owner, 6-10 years ago.