New Masthead?

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Cruiser2B
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Salacia
Boat Type: Alberg 30

New Masthead?

Post by Cruiser2B »

I pulled my stick and i am thinking about replacing or at least reinforcing my Alberg 30 masthead. It is not cracked or broken and the pin holes appear to be in good shape, but i just looks old and a bit inadequate. I am thinking about adding a 1/4" in 6061 aluminum plate to each side and cross drilling it to secure it to the current mast head as it is solid in the middle. I would then just put matching holes for all the current clevis pins, that would be the cheaper of the 2 routes and definitely easier on my wallet as I just ordered all new rigging and I am in process of refitting the v-berth. If I was to buy a new masthead where do you recommend I go and approx how much would it cost? I have the ability to build a new one here but it maybe cheaper to have one made(i doubt it). I read on the Alberg 30 site they did a group purchase a few years back and paid $250 for new units, this would definiety be in my price range.
www.svsalacia.blogspot.com
Preparing to get underway!!