Tapered Seacocks

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
JetStream
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Sojourn
Boat Type: Pearson 27

Tapered Seacocks

Post by JetStream »

We already have a thread about seacocks but thought this might fit here better. Some friends recently invited me to their launching of a wooden 40 foot "Down Easter" (power boat) for a short cruise with the new owner. On a real nice day, we launched, headed out of Wickford, bound for Beavertail and were enjoying the cruise when the engine temperature alarm sounded. After much panic, scurrying around and the old owner being sure his heat exchangers had become clogged, we noticed that the seacock for engine cooling water was closed. It had been open when we left port. We found that the owner had greased and serviced it nicely during the winter but had not tightened it sufficiently as the grease was cold and stiff. With the heat and vibration from the engine, it simply vibrated closed. The seacock is a tapered one rather than a ball valve, so if you have that type, put this into your "experience" locker. We continued on with a very pleasant cruise. Let me see now: Engine Overheating ......... Check seacock first!!
Bruce
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Engine Overheating ......... Check seacock first
And then chuck that tapered plug seacock over the side at the first opportunity.

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I've seen a number of well-lubricated tapered plug seavalves that were loose enough for engine vibration to move on their own. It seems like some simple means of holding the handle open might be good as a safeguard, even if one things the tightness is correct. Maybe a quick length of velcro around the hose and handle to hold it in the open position?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating