Outboard engine with controls question

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Outboard engine with controls question

Post by Rachel »

Okay, it may be a bit grandiose to call this a "system," but it is an engine...

The Meridian I "inherited" has an outboard-in-a-well for propulsion. The motor is a 1988 (supposedly - I can't get a look at the serial number, but it looks like that era) Johnson 9.9, with electric start and a single control lever.

It has not been run in about 12 months.

Just for kicks, I turned the key, but got just a "click," so I assume the battery is dead. I'm not all that keen to run out and buy a new one just yet, so I thought I'd just try to start it by hand - but I've never had an outboard with electric start or the control lever, so I'm a bit puzzled: If I go to start it by hand, with the pull rope, does that automatically over-ride the controls? If so, do I use the F-N-R lever on the side of the motor (those I *am* familiar with) and the throttle control on the steering arm, and choke on the motor? Or am I still locked into using the (hard to decipher) control lever?

Also, there is a full, 6-gallon tank of fuel - I presume it is mixed, since this is a two-stroke, but have no way of knowing for sure. How does one go about getting rid of the gas? Fresh would be better since I don't have any idea what's really in the tank, but I can't think of what to do with 6 gallons of gasoline that's a year old and *might* be mixed with two-stroke oil.

This motor is really way too "advanced" for me; the one I have at home is a 1960 Evinrude 5 1/2 hp "Fisherman." Still runs like a top, too (short shaft though...). Many happy memories - I have a photo of my grandfather on his way out to go fishing with his hand on the throttle of the exact same model. It was a big motor then! :-)

Any other comments on things I should or shouldn't be doing with this Johnson are welcome. If it were up and running, I'd feel more willing to move the boat to someplace better (or if I find a trailer).

Thanks --- Rachel
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The controls only move cables that are attached to the levers on the motor. You could easily disconnect the remote control cables; they tend to have simple mechanical connections that undo quite easily. Then you can use the tiller and gear lever on the motor. The electric start has nothing to do with the controls.

There's hardly anything "advanced" about a 1988 outboard! hehe The basic controls remain the same as what you're used to. You should be able to override the remote controls even without disconnecting the cables, but it's been a while since I messed with a small outboard and cable setup.

Getting rid of old gas is a major problem. Maybe there's a transfer station (recycling center) in the area that takes all kinds of oils? It's be easier to just buy a new gas can and hose and start fresh, and deal with the old can later on. Maybe you can give it to the yard and get rid of can and gas in one fell swoop; yards sometimes are happy to use older fuel for their workboats or whatever. Sometimes not.

Any collections of old gas cans around that yard? If so...well...

I have several cans of old gasoline here that I don't know what to do with, not that I've searched that hard for a solution. I'm reluctant to even run it through my lawnmower or tractor, since the gas was bright yellow and nasty. (From Triton #100's gas tank)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Thanks

Post by Rachel »

Tim,

I know, I know, calling a 1988 2-stroke "advanced" is a bit of a stretch. Just goes to show how out-dated I really am :-)

These things would all be obvious, I suppose, if the motor were on a stand, and not stuffed into a well with just the top of the cowling in view.

Thanks for the input.

--- Rachel
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

The three year old gas that was in Figment's tank upon purchase found many different homes.

I burned a lot of it in my 4runner, two gallons at a time, diluted into an otherwise-full tank. Siphoning gas from boat to car became part of my weekend boatyard ritual. Another 5 or 6 gallons went into the lawn tractor.

The best use I found for the rest was to give it to a couple of mechanics who used it in their parts-cleaning apparatus.
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by jhenson »

The 20 gallons of gas in my tank wouldn't burn in anything without explosive backfiring. I tried diluting it in a couple of pieces of machinery only to have to pull the tanks and redrain. I called my landfill and they said they take gas once a month during hazardous materials collection day so I reverted to that as a solution. I think the same is common in most places since the need is not uncommon (and federally mandated) to dispose of tainted gas. The tank I drained it into had many more gallons of gas in it.

What may be a problem here in this situration is being a non-resident of Anne Arundel County. My landfill requires proof of residence before they will take hazardous chemicals.

I'm still wondering how the boat made it the half mile from the mooring to the marina lift for transport.

Joe
Last edited by jhenson on Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I have about ten gallons in jugs sitting next to my boat waiting for a brilliant solution. My original thought was like Mike's
I burned a lot of it in my 4runner, two gallons at a time, diluted into an otherwise-full tank.
. I did this twice and then had to clean out the injectors as the truck refused to run. I also gave some to the yard for a gas powered pressure washer they were running. A few days later I noticed the engine was all torn apart...

I wouldn't recomend using the old gas no matter how much you diluted it. Try filling some jugs and just leaving them in a dark corner until everyone forgets they are there :-)

When you pull the starter cord does the motor turn? That click could be a dead battery, which I would expect if it has been sitting awhile, or it could be a frozen motor that the starter can't break loose.

Those outboards are pretty tough but personally I wouldn't mess with it until you are ready to do something about it. Right now the cylinders have probably corroded as far as they are going to and the engine is stable. Turning the motor over is going to expose fresh cylinder walls to corrosion. Plus, forcing those sticky piston rings against those rusty cylinders are going to cause excessive wear. Plus you are ingesting more bad fuel unless you have already cleaned out the fuel system. Most people would disagree with me and I don't think it will have a huge impact but "let sleeping dogs lie" is becoming my new motto.

A shiny new four-stroke would look nice in that motor well. That said, the 9.9 Johnson is a great motor (for a two stroke). You could get it running for short money and probably get years of use out of it.

-Britton
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Thanks, as usual

Post by Rachel »

Thanks, as usual.

I'll take Britton's advice and ignore the motor for now. I will need it if I decide to haul the boat elsewhere, but I don't really have the proper tools to deal with it this trip, and the "let sleeping dogs lie" theory sounds good. BTW, I think the motor did turn when I pulled the starter cord, but I'll try it once more just for the sake of information.

I don't think I'll subject my car - or anyone's engine - to this gas, since I know so little about it. It's just annoying me because the chock-full tank + the battery are causing the boat to list to starboard (I'd forgotten how "light" a small boat like this is). I gave up 6-gallon gas tanks years ago because they're so unwieldy (for me anyway).

So I'll deal with it next time - perhaps by then I'll have figured out where they stash jugs of gas they want to forget about ;-)

Joe, I just noticed you must not be all that far away; heck, I wasn't even sure what county I was in and you knew! :-)

So, okay, we'll just forget the outboard thread for now - I'll resurrect it later, along with the motor itself. See how easy that was to cross off my list? If only the decks would take care of themselves like that.

--- Rachel
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I'll take Britton's advice ...
Miracles never cease. Who knew someone was actually listening.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote:Who knew someone was actually listening.
Uh-oh...better start watching what you say now! hehe
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
windrose

Post by windrose »

Rachel, how much draft does the boat draw. I've got a trailer that was used to haul a Catalina 22 that I bought at an auction. It has adjustable bunks but is only a single axle. I keep the little gaffer I built stored on it but could put the boat in the water for a few days if the trailer would work for you.

What are the specifics of the Meridian? Let's have some photos...:-)

Joe, I'm in AA County. Where are you? Do you belong to Chesapeake Triton Assoc.?
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay
jhenson

Post by jhenson »

Windrose,

I live about 40 miles southwest of the Capital Beltway. Since acquiring my Triton last Summer, I have yet to join the Chesapeake Triton Association, but would like to.

Joe
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Specs

Post by Rachel »

Hi Windrose,

What a nice offer! I have a feeling the Meridian would be too heavy for the trailer though. I had seen a ex-Catalina 22 trailer for sale and at the time looked up the weight, which was something like 2500#, IIRC.

The Meridian is shaped like a little Triton, hull-wise, and draws 3'3". It's 24'9" LOA, 7' beam, and weighs ... well, I've seen specs between 5000# and 5400#

I promise to figure out how to post pics as soon as I get home. Then I'll have some "befores" (moldy) vs. afters (less moldy but now tri-colored from paint scraping revealing various layers) :-)

--- Rachel